Chapter 36

Miranda Bonham

We were all quiet, but I could feel the testosterone in the air. I knew any little thing would trigger Nixon or Preston to shift.

"I need to talk to Preston alone," I told Nixon once we'd made it to the palace.

Preston had gone to his room and Clay had quietly followed along. Even though Preston had already given Nixon a piece of his mind, I knew that he wouldn't say much with him around.

"He's not stable right now. His Wolf could come out and hurt you," Nixon told me, his fingers digging into my waist when he spoke.

"Preston would never hurt me," I said getting defensive.

"He might not mean to hurt you to but he could. Preston's angry and his Wolf has been alert ever since the fight," Nixon said, sounding mad as well.

"I'm still going to talk with him alone." Nixon growled at me when I said that and crashed my body against his.

"You're defying me?" He asked, his grip becoming tighter.

"Please let me talk to him. You need to go and see what's going on. You said King Luther called for you. Go and find out what's up while I'll talk to Preston," I said.

Nixon shook his head without hesitation and he nestled his head in my neck.

"I can't leave if you say that. I'll be thinking Preston might hurt you," Nixon whispered against my skin.

His breath felt hot and it was waking up my Wolf. This was so not the time to be having those thoughts about Nixon I thought to myself.

"The guards will stay with me," I said.

Nixon pulled away from my neck. His eyes fixated on me. It looked like he was searching for something to tell him I wasn't lying.

"I will be careful, I promise."

I was sliding my hands slowly over his chest and noticed that he significantly relaxed under my touch.