Chapter 7

Miranda Bonham

"Why do you have my phone?" I asked Preston, trying to divert the attention from myself.

"Don't change the subject Miranda. Who was that?" He asked, following me around my room.

I stayed quiet, drying my hair with the towel. The silence felt thick around the room, while Preston waited for me to reply. Trying to get more time to come up with something, I started combing through my hair.

"That's not my phone," I finally said, not really lying.

He narrowed his eyes at me, and looked down at the phone he was holding. It almost seemed like he thought the phone was a bomb that would go off any second, with the way he was holding it.

"Then why do you have it?" Preston asked, suspiciously.

"I found it last night in the café. Someone must've forgotten it," I replied, in a tone I was hoping sounded casual.

"Why did that guy sound so mad about me answering the phone?"

"Well, he lost his phone- I assume. How would you feel if you lost your phone and a random dude answered it?" I questioned, crossing my arms.

Preston seemed to have run out of questions to ask me about the phone. His confused expression was actually funny, and I almost made fun of him because he believed my lot of lies.

"Is that all? Can I have my phone back?" I asked him, extending my hand.

"Why did you keep it, if it's not yours?" I smiled, because I actually had a great answer for that one.

"Are you kidding? That phone is new, and way nicer than mine. If I get someone to break it in, I'm putting my sim card in there and keeping that baby," I told him, grinning like a maniac and snatching the phone from his hands.

He broke out a grin of himself, looking at me like a little kid.

"Typical Andy, taking advantage of the misfortune of others," he said, jokingly scowling me.

After that comment, I was sure he had believed me. After all, keeping a lost phone was something I would do.