Chapter 30

Prince Nixon Edington

"I must say, I am very impressed."

My father's words put a frown on my face. Although I should've been elated that he was impressed by something, I hadn't necessarily done anything to deserve his compliment.

"May I ask what has impressed you?"

I had just stepped into his office and the first phrase he threw my way had more or less confused me.

"I spoke with Miranda this morning. I want to meet her brother first, but a challenge between Richard and him certainly sounds entertaining. The kingdom could use the festivity," my father explained, sounding excited.

While he was looking at me with a glint in his eyes and a grin on his lips, I couldn't help but frown.

Miranda had spoken with him. She had gone behind my back. I was surprised that she had managed to convince my father to take into consideration her suggestion.

That however, didn't make up for the fact that she had lied to me.

"It's good to hear that. Miranda will be happy. She has been insisting on giving Preston a title," I told my father.

Despite my anger towards Miranda's actions, I knew she might've been right.

I simply didn't know how Richard would handle stepping down from his position if Preston beat him. Even if I didn't want to think about it, Ashlyn came to mind.

As dull and sour as my memories with her now felt, a challenge between her father and Preston meant Miranda and she might be seeing more of each other.

I wanted to avoid that at all costs. I didn't want her to contaminate Miranda.

"Preston, yes I remember Miranda saying the boy's name. How is he? Does he look strong?"

I shrugged, and I regretted doing that the second after I did. It was a habit I had picked up in the human world- from Miranda specifically. She was quite indecisive sometimes.