Chapter 34

Miranda Bonham

"How are you feeling?" I asked Preston the next morning, while he got ready for later in the afternoon.

Preston and Clay had received a full wardrobe as well. Since he would be fighting in a few hours, Nixon had recommended he wear something that could easily come off.

I was taking an extra change of clothes for Preston to wear after the challenge.

"Nervous," Preston admitted.

"It's normal. I think you'll do great," I told him, putting my hands on the side of his face to get him to look at me.

ìClay and I were practicing a lot. I haven't gotten rusty, so that better help.î

"Nixon told me that even if you don't win, you can still take the Alpha position," I quietly said.

Preston had been in the middle of choosing his outfit for after the challenge but he stopped to look at me.

"Yeah? How? I thought they wanted me to prove how strong I am."

"They do, which means that even if you don't win today- you have to give them a good show."

"How else can I get the title?" Preston curiously asked.

"By getting rid of Richard," I replied with a shrug.

"Are you serious? I'm not killing off the dude just to get his title," Preston told me.

"Of course not. Youíre going to become the next Alpha of the pack. It would look bad on you. Weíll have somebody else do it for us. But we'll think about that only if you don't win today."

It wasn't something I wanted to do, but I was willing to do it if it came to that.

"Nixon told you that?" I shook my head at him. I wasn't sure what Nixon would think if he heard what I had just told Preston.