Chapter 32

Miranda Bonham

"I'm so glad you could join us," King Luther said, as he came to stand by my side.

Although Nixon was standing next to me, King Luther didn't hesitate to pull me away from him.Nixon didn't look too happy about that, but he didn't object either.

"Miranda, I would like you to meet Alpha Richard. And this is his daughter" the king let the sentence hang, which made it seem like he didn't know Ashlyn's name.

"This is my daughter Ashlyn," Richard finished for the king.

I smirked in Ashlyn's direction. She was trying not to scowl at the king, but she was doing a poor job at that.

"Nice to meet you Richard." I offered my hand to the Alpha, giving him a warm smile.

My arm was interlaced with King Luther's arm, and he was walking us over to the sitting area in his study.

"Where is Preston?" King Luther asked me.

I called over to my brother, who quickly came to stand by us. Nixon was silently following along. Instead of taking a seat, like his father and I had done, he stood right behind me.

"Richard, this is Princess Miranda's brother and the young man who is going to challenge you for the position," Nixon's father said, as he motioned at Preston.

The guards were standing around us. Richard and Ashlyn took a seat on the couch in front of the king and me. The only thing between us was a coffee table, which had a few manila folders over it.

I could easily separate the men that came with Richard and the men who were part of the kingdom's royal guard.

While Richard only had four men accompanying him, there were almost ten men from the guard keeping an eye on the guests. With all the people inside the study, it was even more obvious just how big it was.

"I have been Alpha for a very long time," Richard said, keeping his gaze on the king.

"You can continue being Alpha if you win the challenge. It isn't to the death. It will be decided by whoever wins the fight."