Chapter 45

~ Y/n's  p o v  ~

We arrived at Hawkins local pool. We hid in the parking lot, watching over Billy because the guys think that he's the new host. "I don't know. He looks pretty normal to me." Max said, putting the binoculars down. "Normal? How many times have you seen him wear a shirt on?" Lucas asked.

"I mean, it's a little weird." Max admitted. "More than a little. He was in a tub with ice. The Mind Flayer likes it cold. Plus everything else-" "But he's lounging at the pool, which is, like,the least Mind Flayer thing ever." Max interrupted.

"Not necessarily." Will said. We all turned our attention to him. "The Mind Flayer likes to hide. He only used me when he needed me. It's like... like you're dormant. And then, when he needs you, you're activated." Will explained.

"Okay, so we just... wait until he gets activated." Max said. "We shouldn't just wait. It might be dangerous." I said. "And what if he hurts someone?" Mike asked. "Or kills someone?" Will asked. "We can't take that chance. We need to find out if he's the host." Mike said then grabbed Wills hand and waved to inform Lucas to follow him. "Where are you going?" El asked.

"I have an idea. Boys only." Mike said. "Seriously?" Max questioned. "Just trust me on this one." then they left. I rolled my eyes at them and looked down.

~~~

Mike told us the plan and we thought it was perfect. We started getting the things we needed. "Hey, I found the breakers." I went in one of the storage rooms and saw El holding a dummy. She turned to me "Jesus, that thing is creepy. But I think it'll work." I said.

El didn't reply and was about to walk past me "Hey, El?" she turned back around, looking annoyed. "I just wanted to say that...You know when I said that I was going to visit my mom? I didn't... I lied. I'm sorry."

"I know." she blankly said. "Right, yeah, yeah. But I just want you to know the context. It's because of Hopper. He got mad saying that I made you go home late and that I'm making you break his rules and shit. He told me that I couldn't visit you anymore so I had to lie. I would never lie to you if I didn't have a good reason. You are way too important to me." I told her.

She didn't reply and looked down. I waited for her to say something but she just walked away. "Y/n, are you there?" Max asked through her walkie. "Yeah.."

"Where are you guys?" she asked. "I'm coming. Just.. hold on for a minute." I furrowed my eyebrows at El. What's going on with her?

a/n: wow i finally had the motivation to finish this very short chapter

word count: 471