Chapter 34

~ Y/n's  p o v ~

It's been weeks and I'm still staying at the Wheeler's house. Mrs. Wheeler said that she doesn't mind but I feel like I'm bothering them. Especially Mr. Wheeler...or that's just how he is.

I was in the living room, reading a comic. The phone started to ring and Mrs. Wheeler answered it. I didn't pay attention to who or what they were talking about, until she called my name.

"Y/n! It's for you." she handed me the phone. "Hello?" ""Y/n, you need to go home. We have something important to tell you." Hopper said through the phone.

"What?" I asked. "Just get over here and I can explain everything, okay?" Hopper put down the phone before I could say anything else. I left the house without saying a word, grabbed my bike and quickly rode to my house.

I knocked on the door and Hopper opened it. "Hey, kid." he let me in and I furrowed my eyebrows when I saw my dad sitting on the couch, with a bunch of papers on the coffee table. He looks so stressed.

"Where's my mom?" I asked, looking back at Hopper. He bit his bottom lip, not knowing how to answer me.

He made me sit down on one of the chairs in the dinning area, so we won't disturb my dad. Hopper took a deep breath in "Your mother is...in jail."

My eyes widen. "What?!" "Before you freak out or get mad, I'll explain why." Hopper quickly said. "You better explain why."

~~~

I fiddled with my fingers as he told me everything. My mother worked for that bitch who hurt El. She hurt multiple kids. She helped experiment on all of them! How and why could she do this?! I thought.

Hopper awkwardly sat beside me while I was still trying to process everything he just told me.

"Then...why is my dad here?" I asked, breaking the silence. "He's here to look after you now. He's going to be your legal guardian." he said.

My dad and I haven't spent much time with each other. "This really had to happen the day before Christmas eve." I scoffed.

"Sorry, I didn't know I could properly schedule your moms arrest." Hopper sarcastically said. I rolled my eyes at him. "Jim?" I heard my dad call.

"Yeah?" he asked, standing up and walked to the living room, where my dad was. My right leg began to continually bounce as a million questions ran through my head.

Is that why she would be distant from me? How long has she been working there? Why did she start working there? Did she ever hurt El? Did she even feel bad about what she did to those innocence kids? Does my dad know? Is that why they had a divorce?

My thoughts were cut off when Hopper loudly closed the door. Maybe he left already. My dad went in the dinning room "Hey, y/n.." he awkwardly stood there.

"Hey." I said back to him. "Look, I'm sorry that you have to go through this. I didn't know that her job was to experiment on children."

"It's fine, I guess.." I mumbled. At least that answered one of my questions. "Hey, um...I know I haven't really visited you...well, I wanted to but your mom wouldn't let me see you for some reason. It's like she kept you all for herself." he explained.

I furrowed my eyebrows. Why didn't she let him visit? "But...can I just get to know more about you? Like, what's new with you or what changed while I was gone?"

My leg began to bounce more, my heart began to beat faster and I quickly fiddled with my fingers again.

Should I tell him about me and El? That I'm attracted to women? Shit. "Well, um...I have multiple friends now." I shrugged.

"Jim said that you know one of the kids who..your mom had to experiment with. What's their name? How did you guys meet?" he asked. Damnit.

"Her name is Jane, her subject name is Eleven but we usually call her El. We met in the woods. One of my friend went missing and we tried finding him but instead, we found her. She escaped from the lab mom worked in. Then she help us find my friend." I told him.

He paused "Oh." was all he said. "So you two are friends?" he asked. I bit my lip. I'm not sure if we're even dating yet. We do like each other. I mean, we literally kissed, but neither of us asked if we wanted to become girlfriends. "Yeah. We're friends." at least I'm not fully lying.

We continued to talk for the rest of the hour. "Where were you staying?" he asked. "At one of my friends house." "What's their name?" he asked. "His name is Mike. Short for Michael."

He smirked "So you slept in a boys house during all those weeks, huh?" he teased. My eyes widen "Ew! Dad! We're just friends!"

A/n: I feel like a lazy writer right now 🥲

word count: 860