Chapter 18 - Betrayal

WC : 464

Grian couldn't believe what he was seeing, Pearl had Mumbo in her arms, a ball of purple magic held under his chin as he thrashed against her, trying to keep his head tilted up. Grian didn't know what to think, he felt angry, betrayed, desperate. He had trusted her, they had saved her from death's clutches and now she had stabbed him in the back. Grian didn't understand, she couldn't be a watcher, she was missing the wings and mask. Why would she betray him like this, she saw what the watchers did to evo, did to her.

"Pearl?" It was Xisuma who spoke first, "what are you doing?"

"You hermits are too trusting," she laughed, a cruel and wicked sound, "although I guess it's not your fault. I've been told I'm an amazing actress and poor Grian was so desperate for someone he knew to have survived that he immediately trusted me. Stress was so nice too, it's a shame she was so easy to take."

"Why, Pearl?" He whispered, a tear sliding down his cheek. "You were there, you saw what they did to evo."

"It's a shame but they had to go, the watcher's helped us. Why wouldn't I join them?" She smiled, "Come with me Grian, and I'll let your boyfriend live."

"Grian don't," Xisuma grabbed his arm, squeezing it gently.

"One." Pearl started counting, and moved her hand, still forming a ball of magic closer to Mumbo's face. Xisuma still had a firm grip on Grian's arm, summoning his own magic. "Two," She moved her hand closer again, this time brushing Mumbo's jawline with her fingertips, causing him to let out a bloodcurdling scream. Grian was sobbing, he didn't know what to do, let her kill the man he loved and potentially everyone else here or go with her, either way dooming himself to a life of pain and misery. Pearl moved her mouth to speak again but Grian cut her off.

"Wait," His body was frozen in panic but he couldn't let Mumbo die, "I'll go with you, just let him go."

Mumbo was crying, his tears turning into steam as they made contact with Pearl's magic. "Great!" Pearl held out her free hand for Grian to grab.

"Mumbo first."

"You take away all the fun," She put on a fake pout before shoving Mumbo towards them. Not before grabbing his shoulder with her magic, sending the smell of burning flesh through the air.

"Mumbo!" Grian shouted, and lunged to catch him. Pearl grabbed Grian, snatching him from his path, not allowing him to go to Mumbo who hit the floor with a thud.

"You're coming with me," She grinned, "oh and you can all go," she waved the hermits off and turned around dragging Grain with her.

Dear Reader,

This chapter may get entirely redone as I'm not too proud of it and a little stumped on how I want it to actually play out. Rest assured if I do redo it, the outcomes will still be the same and it wont have any effect on the plot. 

With warm regards,

Star (She/They)