Chapter 15 - Ultimatum

WC : 320

Swooping down into the center of camp, Grian noticed a large crowd of hermits around a small chest. "What's going on?" He questioned.

"This chest just appeared, and none of us can read the book that was inside," Cleo informed him, holding out the book infront of her. It's front cover was absurdly ornate and the watcher's logo was etched into the leather. "We think it was from those watcher things you were talking about."

"Let me take a look at it then," he swallowed a wave of nerves and took the book from Cleo's hands, opening it up to the first page.

"∴ᒷ ℸ ̣ ⍑ᒷ ∴ᔑℸ ̣ ᓵ⍑ᒷ∷ᓭ ⍑ᔑ⍊ᒷ ℸ ̣ ᔑꖌᒷリ

𝙹リᒷ 𝙹⎓ ||𝙹⚍∷ 𝙹∴リ.

⊣╎⍊ᒷ ⚍ᓭ 𝙹⚍∷ ᓵ∷ᒷᔑℸ ̣ ╎𝙹リ,

ᔑリ↸ ∴ᒷ ∴╎ꖎꖎ ꖎᒷᔑ⍊ᒷ ⍑ᒷ∷ ᔑꖎ𝙹リᒷ.

╎⎓ リ𝙹ℸ ̣ ℸ ̣ ⍑ᒷ∷ᒷ'ᓭ ᔑ ᓵ𝙹ᓭℸ ̣ ,

⍑ᒷ∷ ꖎ╎⎓ᒷ ∴╎ꖎꖎ ʖᒷ ꖎ𝙹ᓭℸ ̣."

As he read the familiar yet terrifying text he couldn't help but shiver. They wanted him back and they were going to kill Stress if they didn't get what they wanted. "They want to make a trade, me for Stress." He whispered, he knew some of the hermits would gladly give him away. He had put them in this situation; it would only be fair. Part of him agreed, but the other part was terrified, of going back to the torturous world of the watchers, of loosing the friends he had made, and of losing Mumbo.

"We should!" Doc called from behind him.

"No!" A loud voice responded from in the crowd, to his surprise it was Iskall, one of the hermits he hadn't talked to all that much. "Even though it would be easy, based on your story, we cannot in good conscience give you over to them. Stress wouldn't want us to, she would want us to find a different way." Other hermits nodded in agreement and Grian took a sigh of relief, he was finally starting to feel like he could trust these people.

Dear Reader,

It may or may not be 3am. I am very tired and there may be a few spelling errors due to the tiredness, apologizes in advance. I couldn't get to sleep so instead wrote a chapter of this. I find it ironic that I can fall asleep anywhere except for my own bed. Sleeping habits aside I hope you enjoyed this chapter and I will 'see' you tomorrow!

With warm regards,

Star (She/They)