Episode 13: Venom of the Red Lotus Part 1

Earth

Fire

Air

Water

Only the Avatar can master all four elements and bring balance to the world

THIS JUST IN:

THE RED LOTUS HAS CAPTURED THE AVATAR.

Korra gave herself up in exchange for the airbenders, but Zaheer double crossed her while Ghazan trapped Team Avatar at the temple. All seemed lost until Bolin saved their lives by lavabending, but he was not the only one with new skills. Zaheer unlocked the ancient airbending ability of flight and stunned everyone. Will Team Avatar save the Air Nation and Korra before it is too late?

"When I get out of here, none of you will survive!"

The Red Lotus were more than underwhelmed by Korra's threats. She knew better than them that what was coming for her was inevitable. No matter how much she resisted, how much she struggled against the restraints suspending her in the middle of the cave, her time was over.

"You won't get out, unless the Metal Clan has taught you a way to bend out of platinum," Ghazan snarled as the silver liquid inched ever further from the hooded figures' palms.

"Besides, once this position is given to you, I doubt you'll have any fight left for us." Korra began struggling harder at Ming-Hua's words.

Her eyes flew wildly around the room. "Poison?!" she choked out. Zaheer shrugged lightly, as if what they were inflicting upon her was no big deal.

"It was a simple choice, really. We needed a way to encourage your Avatar State to come out and what better way than forcing it to keep you alive? Sadly for you, you'll be entering it for the last time, but I have this theory that I'm really hoping you'll prove right before you go."

"What theory?" Korra asked through gritted teeth. Not that she cared about his lunacy, but it was better than the alternative he was giving her. The blobs of silver liquid slowed their rise to her as Zaheer raised both of his hands calmly into the air.

"Like I said, this cavern is practically flooded with spiritual energy. As the bridge between our realm and the realm coursing through the vines beneath us, I have theorized that one under siege, your Avatar State will try to draw on the power around us for support in its trying time, piercing the fabric between our worlds in an effort to save you." Korra shook her head wildly as Zaheer let his hands fall and the poison rushed to her once more. "Now, I have no evidence for this thought. And, quite frankly, our work will still continue if it does not, but wouldn't it be quite a thrill if we could end the Avatar Cycle and return the spirits to our world in one night?"

"The Avatar Cycle? That's your big plan? Kill me and what? Change the world?" Her breathing became ragged as the poison skimmed over her limbs. Sweat beaded down her face, her eyes wiring shut against the searing heat in her veins. Zaheer watched her for a moment, almost feeling bad for the pain she was undoubtedly going through as she writhed underneath the growing glow of the crystal walls.

Then, he remembered P'Li and the bright red and orange that had overtaken her before leaving her body on the ground steeped in burnt ash.

"That's exactly it, Korra. Your death will mark the beginning of an era of true freedom where people no longer have to bow to the whims of kings and queens or nations that do not represent their wants and needs. Though you'll never be reborn, your name will echo throughout history. Korra, the last Avatar, the one who returned natural order to the world."