Episode 12: Harmonic Convergence Part 1

Earth

Fire

Air

Water

Only the Avatar can master all four elements and bring balance to the world

THIS JUST IN:

Bolin is a hero! The mover star has stopped Varrick's dastardly plan to kidnap President Raiko and proved his brother's innocence. Korra reunited with her friends and it was all smiles, even as Korra and Mako went their separate ways. Meanwhile, Jinora's spirit is still trapped in the Spirit World and Tonraq and his rebels have been defeated by Unalaq and his strength. Now it is up to Team Avatar to stop Unalaq before Harmonic Convergence when he can finally enact his dangerous plan.

"We haven't seen the sun in days, let alone Unalaq. We've been building and building with no clue about what is going on and Zaheer is no help at all. I think it's time we accept the fact that we probably won't get what we want from Unalaq, no matter how much work we do for him."

Kani wiped beads of sweat off her brow. The rest of the non-benders, the ones who weren't affiliated with Unalaq anyway, stared questioningly at her. They were waiting for what she had to say. And unfortunately for them, she didn't have much.

"You're right. Zaheer is trailing after Unalaq like the lost puppy that he is, but we can't afford to do the same."

"What should we do, then, Kani?"

"I don't know if there is anything that we can do," she admitted. Kani moved her hand gingerly across the pocket of her shirt where the detailed scroll still sat, close to her for safekeeping at all times. "I do not think Unalaq was being completely untruthful, I just don't want to wait around and see what horrors he'll use these fleets for."

Another voice from the group spoke up. "So, are we giving up the cause?"

"I think we lost it a long time ago. We forgot it and it forgot about us." They all fell silent and only the distant clang of the other workers echoed through the cave. Someone shouted for them to get back to work. They didn't listen.

"We do not have to become misguided like Zaheer. He may have brought us into this, but we don't have to keep up with it. Kani?" They all raised their heads to watch her as she gathered her strength to keep pushing on under the heat of the cave.

"When the time comes, we'll make the move and cut our losses," she said quietly.

"And what about us? What will we do afterward?"

Kani's shoulders fell. "I don't know. Who knows what nasty person we might get wrapped up into if we try to do it ourselves again. I'll get you guys out, but I can't tell you what to do. All I know is I'm going to take a break from this and hope someone better than us comes along and can do what we can't."

"I agree with Kani. I think it's time for us to step back."

"Did we ever really step forward?" someone retorted as they grabbed their cap. They slid it on and headed for the last ship they were meant to build, another snark biting at the tip of their tongue.

"Yes," Kani whispered, "But I'm not sure it made much of a difference either way."

When night fell over the south, Kani hadn't slept a wink. Not only had she wasted away yet again in that dingy cave, but she also couldn't get Zaheer out of her mind. He had become somewhat of a ghost and she needed to know why. After all, he was supposedly doing all of this to help them. Wasn't he?