Episode 10: A New Spiritual Age Part 2

Jinora slammed another book shut and slid it onto the top of her ever-growing pile of dead-ends. "Ugh, it's not in here either! I have to find the portals, Korra is probably waiting for me. Ugh, I need a map!" Jinora flung her head back against the bookshelf she was leaning on and it swayed, pushing out a single book that landed perfectly in her lap. She first jumped at the unexpected contact, but when she noticed what page the book was turned to, she lept straight off the floor and into the air. Furry-Foot widened his eyes at Jinora's sudden movement but settled down as she slumped back onto the floor.

"That's it! The Tree of Time!" Jinora skimmed the page, her finger running along the words as she read aloud. "The Tree of Time is a palace of great spiritual connection. It sits between the two spirit portals used by Guardians Raava and Vaatu to travel into the Spirit World. As long as either the spirits or humans wish to remain separated, the portals beside the tree must stay closed."

Jinora skipped ahead to the first mention of Harmonic Convergence. "When Harmonic Convergence is called, the pieces of the puzzle will fall into place and the universe's wishes will be fulfilled. However, this moment of pivotal vulnerability in the world is the only time at which anyone could ever sever the ties that bind the Avatar.

"Given that the Avatar fused with its spirits during a Harmonic Convergence, another convergence could reverse this effect. By opening both of the portals before the convergence, one may take half of the Avatar's power before the Harmonic Convergence comes to a close. Yet, this is amongst the deadliest of wishes as the imbalance of the untethered Avatar spirits for long periods of time would bypass the universe's intended plans and cause catastrophe that would harm both the human and spirit worlds.

In the event that there is the possibility of the spirits being severed, precautions must be made to prevent the server or ensure the re-tethering of the spirits after the spirits are severed. Only by the Avatar's hand can the restoration of balance take place."

Jinora held the book rightly with a blank look on her face as she processed everything. "We have to tell this to Korra!"

"Leaving so soon?" Jinora's blood ran cold as she rushed to her feet, her face freezing under Unalaq's stare. "When one of Wa Shi Tong's keepers, who was oh so helpful the last time I needed the perfect technique to crush my enemies' souls, alerted me that the library had a visitor, I had to see it with my own eyes. I mean, there's such dangerous stuff one can learn here, I had to make sure it was nothing I couldn't handle. And then it was you. Wow, I can't believe Tenzin sent his daughter here instead of coming himself. What kind of father is he?"

Jinora's heart quicked as Unalaq stepped toward her. She clutched the book about the Tree of Time in her hands tightly and puffed her chest. "Better than you." Jinora narrowed her eyes as she said, "Why would you want to sever the Avatar spirits? That will destroy everything!"

"Don't believe everything you read. Sometimes, the universe just has other places. So why don't you come with me and do some first-hand research?" Unalaq smirked and thrust his hand toward Jinora. She had no time to react as a wave of purple water rolled over her and suddenly everything went dark.

--------------

Korra stared wide-eyed at the steepness of the mountain and the thick darkness swirling around it. "This looks scary. Will you come with me?" Iroh smiled and kneeled down to Korra's height.

"This is something you must do on your own. Besides, when you first met this little fellow, you were frightened. But does he scare you now?"

"No," Korra replied as she nuzzled the dragon-bird spirit.

"This mountain is his home. And like it, many things seem threatening in the dark but become welcoming when we shine light on them. Bring light with you, and you will no longer need to fear what scares you." Korra rushed forward to give Iroh a huge hug.