Episode 7: Beginnings Part 1

Earth

Fire

Air

Water

Only the Avatar can master all four elements and bring balance to the world

THIS JUST IN:

The Avatar has gone missing! After President Raiko refused Korra's request to aid the South in the war of the Water Tribes, she headed to the Fire Nation, seeking a new ally against Unalaq. But, unknown to her friends, a dark spirit attacked Korra and dragged her into the ocean. Now, she has washed up on a desolate island with no memory of who she is and has to go on a journey to remember herself.

"We found the Avatar washed up on the shore, but she doesn't remember anything." The sages all hurried into the room, frantically placing her nearest the eldest sage in the temple.

"Raava.." she meekly muttered as the elder swiftly moved to her side, "Vaatu..." The eldest sage rubbed her hands together and created a ball of fire between them. Then she pulled the ball apart by its sides and held it over the Avatar, waving her palms calmly over her unconscious form.

The sage's eyes curled into uneasy frowns as she felt along the Avatar's spiritual paths. "A dark energy has infected her. We must purge it before it destroys the spirits within her." The sages nodded quickly and scooped the Avatar up into their arms, rushing deeper into the temple toward a large pool of water steeped in bright light. "Let the spirit waters cleanse the darkness that plagues her."

The eldest sage emerged from behind all the others and gestured to the pool, the sages following her guide and setting the Avatar softly on the plank near the water's edge. They latched tight ropes onto each of the plan's corners, pushing her into the center of the cavern. Once there, they lowered her body further under the water's gentle surface, submerging all but her face in the light bath below the temple.

They watched anxiously as the Avatar laid stiffly in the water, their bodies only relaxing as the Avatar shuddered roughly against the water and pried her eyes open furiously.

Except, her eyes didn't open to the glowing room of the temple's cavern. Instead, they opened to dense, purple darkness, illuminated only by a figure mirroring herself bathed in blue light. "Who are you?" the Avatar asked, tilting her head only to find that the figure followed her movements.

As she jumped back, startled, the figure did the same. "I am you," they replied.

"But who am I?" the Avatar asked back. She looked down and tried to remember her own body, but felt awkward in the unfamiliar form.

Once she lifted her eyes back up, the figure that looked alike to her was gone, and in its place stood a tall man, his pale, bald head decorated with a clean blue arrow and his body covered in thick yellow and orange robes. "You are the Avatar."

"I heard them say that, but I don't know what that is," she murmured. She raised her hand, wondering if this figure would mirror her as well, and furrowed her brows as his hand moved exactly like hers.

"In order to remember, you must regain your connection with the spirits that make you the Avatar." The figure changed again, rippling from a bald man to an old one, his robes a rich red and his hairs a stark grey against his light skin.

Before she could even really register what she was seeing, the figure rippled again, its form now portraying long green robes draped over a tall woman's broad shoulders, her face painted white. "If you don't, darkness will engulf the world. You will die and our era will end."