Episode 8: When Extremes Meet Part 2

"Republic City stands as a beacon of freedom, but the Equalists are using that freedom to tear it down. The law I have proposed would make it illegal for anyone to be a member of the Equalists or even be associated with them. Additionally, a curfew will be put into effect, ensuring all non-benders are in their own homes by nightfall." Tarrlok stared directly at Tenzin as he spoke, the rest of the council members knowing well enough to stay quiet in the face of Tarrlok's plan.

Standing up Tenzin slammed his hands forcefully onto the wooden council table. "This is going too far, Tarrlok! You can't punish all non-benders for the actions of a few!"

"That kind of cowardice will cause our city to fall into Amon's hands. We must pass this law." Tarrlok turned to the other council members with a smirk that fell into a scowl as Tenzin spoke up once again.

"That is not true. We do not punish all benders for the actions of the gangs that they primarily form, and therefore we cannot think of non-benders in the same way. We only continue to prove the Equalists message of the privilege benders have when we need to start working against that privilege."

"You are misguided, Tenzin. As I said, the people will only fall into line with Amon if we do nothing," Tarrlok countered sternly.

"Maybe so, but doing this will also push them to him further. Why don't we try to appease the non-benders with-" Tenzin recoiled as Tarrlok harshly interrupted him with a raised voice.

"All those in favor of my new law?" The council people all raised their hands and Tarrlok subsequently struck his gavel with a pleased smile. Tenzin groaned angrily, pushing himself away from the table and storming out of the council room. The meeting was now over, Tarrlok's law being the last point of discussion for the council. He passed by the secretaries on his way through City Hall and gave them all curt nods before lifting himself with a breeze up onto his bison and flying off back towards the Air Temple to try and calm down the fury overcoming him.

On the other side of the city, a few blocks away from a new dumpling place that Mako insisted they check out, Team Avatar sat on the curb of the sidewalk in front of the shop. Reveling in their much-needed food break, their silent laughs from a joke Bolin just cracked slowly disappeared as the radio in the parked car in front of them began buzzing.

"All available units, please respond to the fifty-six hundred block of Dragon Flats borough. Equalists have taken to the streets, consider them armed and dangerous. Proceed with caution."

The four instantly rose up off of the curb, nearly falling back to the ground in the process, and ran to finish their food and return the dishes back to the restaurant. Jumping into the passenger side of the car, Bolin yelled, "I call front!" Asami chuckled, opening her car door and slipping inside while adjusting everything to make sure it was perfect in case of another chase.

"After you," Mako smiled, offering his hand to help Korra into the car.

"Thanks! What a gentleman, Mako." Mako hopped into the seat next to her, Korra returning his smile as Bolin awkwardly looked back at them from his peripheral vision. Asami lifted her hand to adjust her rearview mirror, her non-gloved hand wiping away some makeup debris around her eyelashes and her eyes narrowing as she watched Korra and Mako laugh at something quietly said in the backseat. Asami looked away, breathing heavily out of her nose while she ran her hand into her pocket in order to grab the goggles that she had taken off. She had washed them off when they first made a stop at the shop in order to clean them of the residue from the smokescreen, and the cold feeling of the leftover water chilled her skin as she fastened the goggles over her eyes and started the car.

Taking another left, Asami straightened out the car, slowing her speed as they inched closer towards an area of the street that was plunged in darkness with airships circling above it. "Why is the power out?" Korra asked. They all strained their eyes to try and see anything in the darkened area, Asami swerving the car around another corner before shutting it off. Asami, Bolin, Mako, and Korra all stepped out onto the street and began walking towards the noise that flowed out towards them. As they got closer, the lights in the specific area the airships were circling became brighter and Team Avatar all looked at each other before turning back with wide eyes at the hundreds of protesting non-benders encased in a blockade by metalbending police officers.