Episode 11: Skeletons in the Closet Part 2

Korra and Mako slinked out of the bay as they came upon the shores of Air Temple Island. Letting her hands fall, Korra removed the water that she had used to keep them alive under the bay and let it plop somewhere behind her. From their back pockets, the two of them slide on chi-blocker masks in order to blend in and climb up the rocky shores. Korra lifted her head and immediately pulled Mako closer to the ground, lifting her finger slightly to point at a man beginning to board one of the Equalists' airships.

"There's Amon," Korra whispered.

"We need to get into the temple," Mako said," Then when he returns..."

Korra nodded. "We ambush him." They begin stalking towards the temple but then froze in their places as a voice called out to them from behind.

"What are you two doing here?" Korra and Mako slowly turned around to face the voice, recognizing him immediately as Amon's Lieutenant.

"Uh, we were just transferred," Mako lied.

"Well, you're getting transferred again. Amon wants extra security at the arena today," the Lieutenant replied.

"The arena? For what?"

The Lieutenant leaned closer to the pair while narrowing his eyes. "The rally. You should have been briefed about this." He yanked himself back, however, as Korra fell into a sudden bow before him.

"We'll be there, sir." The Lieutenant gave her a weird glance but paid it no mind given the Equalist mask that covered her face. He carried on further down the island, leaving Korra to whisper to Mako. "I know another way in." Korra led Mako off to the west side of the island, helping Mako climb up the side of a tall building until they reached a small ledge. "Let's hide in the attic." Korra lifted a wooden panel on the wall in front of them and they stepped into the room.

Mako returned the wooden panel back to the wall and followed Korra up the attic's trapdoor that she was making her way up to. Pulling themselves into the attic, Mako furrowed his brows at a person-like shadow hunched over behind a row of bars.

"Uh, we're not alone up here," he said.

Korra peered around Mako's shoulder and gasped, leaning forward to see if her eyes were deceiving her. "Tarrlok?"

"I don't suppose you're here to rescue me," Tarrlok sighed as he stretched his legs further out in his cell.

"We had no idea you were here. Are there other prisoners on the island?" Korra walked up to the front of the cell and carefully placed her hands around two of the bars.

"No, I'm the only one."

"And what makes you so special?" Mako asked, crossing his arms as he placed himself next to Korra's side.

"I'm Amon's brother," Tarrlok said. He folded his chained hands over each other and leaned his head back. Korra's jaw slacked as Mako's eyes widened in surprise, the two of them looking over at each other with disbelief littering their faces. "Amon is from the Northern Water Tribe. He's a waterbender and a bloodbender, just like I was." Tarrlok lifted his head to look Korra directly in the eyes, his demeanor tired and exhausted.

"What?" Korra gasped.

"Did you know this all along?"

"No." Tarrlok looked off to the side as he let out a deep breath. "Not until he captured me."

Korra leaned as close to the bars as she could. "How did your brother end up becoming Amon?"

"From what I have been told, it all began with my father, Yakone. With the help of his former gang, he escaped prison and underwent surgery to change his appearance. He assumed a new identity and settled down in the Northern Water Tribe. That's where he met my mother, a warm, caring woman.