Episode 2: Rebirth Part 1

Earth

Fire

Air

Water

Only the Avatar can master all four elements and bring balance to the world

THIS JUST IN:

After a hundred and seventy years, there are new airbenders in the world and the mysterious Zaheer is one of them. Escaping from his prison with his new ability and a visit from an eerie sight, Zaheer is on his way to a new age, one that the Avatar is quickly finding out is already upon the world. Meanwhile, in Republic City, Team Avatar has been getting ready for the re-launch of Asami's company, Sato Industrial. What other excitements does the Universe have in store?

For days, all the ruckus and movement in the house was for nothing but the launch party. People were in and out, her mother was directing orders left and right, and all Asami could do was rehearse her speech and worry.

Worry about everything going well. Worry about everything going wrong. Worry about how much she needed a break from it all.

Or, in this case, worry about a secret message being sewn into her new favorite coat.

If she was being honest, her ego felt a little bruised at the fact that Korra found the hidden stitching on the coat sleeve before she did. Asami imagined that it was a gift specifically for her and knowing that she wasn't even the one to find it made her other dilemma immensely worse.

Hearing the doorknob to her bedroom rattle, Asami's head instantly perked up. A million ideas of what could be waiting on the other side of the door ran through her mind, but once the door cracked open and the scent of her mother's minty perfume slipped across the room, an unconscious sigh escaped Asami's lips as she pressed herself back onto the bed.

She knew that it could only be her mother coming to tell her that it was almost time for her to make her entrance at the party, yet part of her still hoped that it would be Zai miraculously walking through the door to surprise her with her much-needed break.

However Zai saw fit.

Most of Asami's recent thoughts were like that, imagining what it would be like if she finally showed up her door to visit. Asami was starting to begin to accept that she probably would not come, that what they had was just a brief fling out in the Earth Kingdom.

But a girl could hope.

Her other thoughts were about her company. Asami couldn't be happier about the successes she had made. She was excited. Really excited, a feeling she hadn't felt a lot lately. Her company was finally getting back on its feet, she was doing good with her new programs to hire in-need non-benders, and her mom was back by her side. Everything was looking up and she hardly believed it was real.

"I wish you would tell me what's bothering you," Yasuko murmured as she laid down beside Asami.

Asami let out a steady sigh. "It's nothing."

Yasuko shook her head with a smile as she ran her fingers lightly through Asami's hair. Surely her daughter didn't think she was that dumb. "I know when something's up with you. And you've been unnaturally quiet the closer we got to the party."

"Are you saying that I'm too talkative?" Asami questioned, turning her head up to her mother with a slight frown on her painted lips.

"I wouldn't too talkative...It's just that you always have something to say," Yasuko answered, her voice wandering aimlessly around as she tried to come up with a way to not make her words sound so...biting.