Mick Schumacher [Who are you?]

Start from the beginning

"Welcome back out of the coma. Can you remember everything? Things like your name, your birthdate and the reason you are here." The doctor asks me and for a moment I need to think about the answers but can find one for all the questions. I tell him my name and my birthdate with confidence, before I hesitate for a second.

"I think I had an accident. My car was off the road for some reason, but I am not sure." I look at the doctor who seems to be satisfied with the answers and nods.

"That's correct. Your tyre exploded and you lost the control of the car. No other person was harmed. You have broken your left shin and fibula as well as some rips. We had to operate your ruptured spleen but we where able to rescue the organ. We will do some tests tomorrow, but I am sure you survived this without any permanent damage. Any questions?" For a moment I am overwhelmed from his long speech but then shake my head to answer his questions.

"Good." The doctor smiles "I will send in your fiancé now; he will be happy to see you." Before I can ask the doctor what he is talking about he already left the room.

Instead of him a young man enters the room. Blond hair and light eyes with dark circles under it, but he is still beaming with happiness. But I realise something. I do not know this man. Well, I kind of do but it is like all the memories are locked somewhere and I don't have access to them.

Grinning he walks over to me and just wants to bend down when I scoot away from him and look up to him with big eyes. Confused he takes a step back and frowns. Before he can say anything, I mumble a sentence.

"Who are you?"

Perplex he looks at me and seems to order his thoughts for a moment.

"You don't remember me?" He asks hesitating and I slowly nod, observing how pain appears in his eyes. "My name is Mick, and I am your fiancé." Mick explains and lets his shoulders hang.

"Fiancé." I repeat that little word with the big meaning. "I...I know that I recognize you a bit, but it seems like all the memory is lost." I explain to him, and he nods slowly, sitting down beside my bed.

"This might be a consequence of the accident...should I go and ask the doctor?" Micks voice sounds like he doesn't have any strength left, just like the voice I heard while I was in the darkness.

"You where here, or?" I ignore his question and ask my own "And you talked with me." "You heard that?" Surprised he tilts his head "I was here as often as possible and talked with you. The doctor told me it could help." "Yes, I heard you, well more or less. At least shortly before I was awake again." I say and smile a little bit. Mick is smiling too but then stands up.

"I should go and ask the doctor about your memory and have to leave after. Can I...can I come again tomorrow?" Mick asks shyly and my heart melts at the sight. "Of course, I would like to get my memory back and some help would be great." I give him the permission and follow him with my gaze when he leaves the room.

Sighting I cuddle myself deeper into my blanket and close my eyes. After a coma you might think you should be slept in, but I still feel really tired and drift into a deserved sleep.

The next days are really exhausting because I have one examination after the other and I have to talk with a doctor about my amnesia. He is certain that it is something caused by the accident, and which hopefully will disappear in a few days.

Mick visits me every day, brings pictures with him and talks about the past. I still can't remember everything correctly but it still is so familiar. The memories are so close but yet so far which is really frustrating. Then the day comes, and I am allowed to go home. Mick will pick me up because we still life together.

"Ready?" A grinning Mick asks me when he enters the room. I need to grin too; the blonde really has a place in my heart, and I like to spend time with him. With my crutches and Mick who is carrying my back I leave the hotel and we drive into the direction of our home.

When Mick parks the car, I look around and just as the last days everything looks familiar but at the same time as I have never seen it before. We enter the house; Mick lets me walk in first and I look around the friendly decorated hallway. Just when I want to say something a dog comes around the corner, barks happily and scurries around me. Laughing I pet the dog and look to Mick who is observing the situation with a smile.

"We have a dog?" I ask because I can't remember seeing pictures of it. "Yes," Mick rubs his neck "Seems like I forgot to tell you. Her name is..." But before Mick can say something I stop him. "Angie." I laugh and Mick looks at me perplexed.

Grinning I pull Mick into a hug, and he holds me close. "I remember." I whisper against his chest, just happy that the memory came back as soon as we entered the house. Mick has suffered enough and now we can look into the future.

"Should I be offended that you remember our dog but not me?" Mick asks me and I can hear him grinning.

"Idiot." Smiling I look up to Mick and pull him down to me on the collar of his coat. "I have waited for this so long." He mumbles and connects our lips for a soft kiss.

And just like this we are an engaged couple again and not strangers anymore.