Reverend Lovejoy #2

Requested by @Cobalt-CC-1043, thanks for requesting! Hope you like it. This is my second story to not contain the reader, but i think it's sweet!

It was quiet evening in Springfield, especially so for the town's reverend, Timothy Lovejoy, as he sat peacefully at home. He was enjoying the silence and tranquility, but that wasn't to last for long, as at that moment, the phone rang, and he felt something inside of him die as he picked it up and saw that it was Ned Flanders. He took a moment to mentally prepare himself as he answered.

"Hello, Ned" He sighed and facepalmed and sounded unenthusiastic as he usually did. Ned didn't seem to ever notice though.

"Howdily doodily there, Reverend!" He said in his usually chirpy way. "I just wanted to ask a favour of you"

Lovejoy was thinking of something along the lines of a prayer or something, but Ned had a different idea in mind. "You need prayer again?"

"Oh, no! Not like that at all! You see, Edna and myself are going away tomorrow evening and we won't be back till the next day, death in the family, you see" He explained with a little bit of sadness in his voice.

"Oh, i'm sorry to hear" He said in fake concern. "And just what was it that you wanted me to do?" He asked, hoping that it wasn't anything too much.

"Well i'll need someone to look after the boys while i'm away, and i thought maybe you and Helen...?"

He was a bit taken aback by this request, but soon composed himself to answer. "Well, the thing is, Helen is actually away, she's at Jessica's boarding school, visiting, and i'm sorry but i'm pretty busy this week" He said as he pushed a toy train back and forth across the coffee table. He had big plans with those trains and didn't really want anyone else spoiling his weekend alone.

"Oh" Ned sighed in disappointment. "It's just that i couldn't find anyone else on such short notice. I'm sure i can find someone else"

Timothy was okay with all this, but then looked up and saw a scripture hanging up and felt a nudge in his heart and he knew that he had to do the right thing, even if he didn't really want to. "I guess i could clear my schedule a bit. What time are you dropping them off?"

Ned's expression changed from a sad one to a happy one! "Oh, thank you so much, reverend! I knew i could count on you!"

So, the next evening...

"I just want to say thanks again, reverend, for this, you're a lifesaver" Ned smiled at the unamused man as the boys stood there, also smiling. "Now you two be good for him"

"We will, daddy!"

"Yeah!" The two boys said pleasantly as they always were.

"We'll be back in the morning as soon as we can. Thanks again, reverend" Edna said with a thankful smile as she got in the car with Ned.

"It's fine" Tim answered with a lazy smile as he stood there.

"Bye, boys!" Ned and Edna waved and and the reverend and the boys did the same, before the car went out of sight and they went inside the house and sat down.

"So, what do we do now, reverend?" Todd asked with a sweet and innocent smile.

"I don't know, behave yourselves i guess?" He scratched his head. "Want to watch tv?"

"Yay!" They both cheered.

"Alright, lemme check what's on" He reached for the remote and flicked through the channels, until he came across e.t.

"Oh, look! It's e.t!" His face actually lit up and he smiled a childlike beam as switched the movie on. "God, i LOVED that little guy! Do you want to watch this?"

"But i don't think that daddy would really want us to watch that" Rod said with a scared expression.

"And besides, aliens are scary!" Added his brother.

"What would he say?"

"Does he really have to know?" Timothy asked, growing just a little bit impatient as he really wanted to watch this himself.

"I...guess not"

"Well sit down and we'll watch this"

They all sat down and watched it together and had dinner and the boys seemed to actually like it in the end. Tim was pleased as they were quiet throughout it and were polite and well behaved whilst staying with him.

They couldn't stop talking about it afterwards to him, and so he felt he needed a little break. "Woah, boys! I'm glad that you liked the movie, but stop for a moment!" He felt a little worn out from all their questions and was heading down to the basement to play with his trains.

"Where are you going?" They asked him politely.

"To check on my trains" He answered as he went down the stairs, two steps at a time.

"Oh, goodie!" The boys laughed as they both followed him and he realised they wanted to join in.

"Oh, I'm sorry, but these aren't toys, they're collectibles" He explained in a lazy drawl.

"Collectible toys?" Asked Todd.

"Noooooo"

"Aww, can we join in? Please?" The brothers begged and he couldn't refuse their puppy dog eyes and angelic smiles.

"Oh, alright, but be gentle, please"

And they were! He had nothing to worry about as the boys weren't rough with his model trains and he actually kinda enjoyed having someone to talk with. It was fun having some company and they listened eagerly when he explained about different types of trains and things.

"And this one here is called the..." He was enjoying himself talking with them, but then he heard a yawn from Rod and then from Todd.

"Oh, that's great, Mr reverend sir, but I'm tired. What time is it?"

He looked out the window and saw how dark it was outside. "I...i have no idea. But i guess it's way past you boys bedtime" He said as they all went up the stairs. "There's a bed in Jessica's room, but i see you already brought your sleeping bag" He looked at Todd.

"I did!" He stood there, smiling proudly.

"Yay! I get to sleep in a girls room!" Cheered his brother as Timothy rolled his eyes. They got ready and were soon sitting peacefully in bed and Tim was about to leave, when little Todd called him over.

"What about our bible stories?" He asked sweetly.

"Oh, that's right, then say your prayers and go to sleep" He said as he was about to turn the lights off and leave.

"But aren't you going to read them to us?" The kids questioned him.

"Why? Are you illiterate or something?" No one knew whether he was being sarcastic or not.

"No" Rod shook his head.

"But it's better if someone is reading" Smiled Todd. "Pleeeeeease?" He begged.

"Alright" He sighed and sat down and opened the bible and started reading from it. He couldn't be bothered first, but he actually got into it after and he realised that this was the reason he got into this profession. To quietly teach and encourage others. He smiled to himself. Ned could be a pest, but the boys were sweet. They fell asleep after a while and so he left and put out the lights.

He was awakened the next day by the sound of a car horn and he looked outside and so Ned and Edna eagerly waiting. "Come on, boys!" Called Ned.

"Yay!" The boys laughed and jumped out of bed and rushed to see him.

"Oh, it's good to see you two again" Ned hugged them. "And thanks once again" He said as he looked at Tim.

"It was no bother, really" He smiled cheerfully, and even Ned saw a difference in him.

As the car drove off and they all waved, he thought of last night with a smile.