𝟏𝟎. 𝐁𝐚𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐨𝐨𝐦 𝐁𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐤

LEANDRO:

She had her hair up in a tight ponytail, placed right on the crown of her head and it must have been the reason why she neglected her safety today by choosing her fresh hairstyle over her protective riding hat—something that'll never happen again.

I watch the way her chocolate brown locks fly in the wind, swishing from side to side in the air like a ballerinas legs during leaps. Who knew strands could be so fucking graceful.

I don't think there's been a single moment since I watched her mount onto her horse from my bedroom window, right up to now, that her smile has altered just a touch. It costs her face in a way I've never witnessed before, not even when she was laughing. She's practically beaming with happiness, through and through. If I could stop time and save this feeling for her, I think I would.

As much as I want Chiaras agreement to our marriage, I'm well aware of the further risks it entails, and how many tears her future life may consist of.

But I also know fifty six different ways to end anyone who so much as creates a frown on that girls face. And I wouldn't hesitate to take my pick in choosing.

Because seeing her happy like this reminded me exactly why she was here and why I'm trying to do what I am. No one, and especially no woman should have to live in constant fear of danger. No woman should have to feel threatened when she steps outside of her house or even worse—in the comforts of her own home. My mother always told me how to treat women, and my father always showed me.

I guess it's now time for me to become the man my parents always wanted.

It was time to save Chiara, in fact, it was probably time a long time ago. Even though I know damn well she's capable of doing it herself, when I saw her picture that day, I knew she'd me mine to protect; and anyone that has a problem with that can speak to the end of my barrel.

She rides towards me, a half intrigued and quarter pissed that I was here watching her, expression now replacing her smile.

"Up early De Santo?" Her cheeky grin quickly returned as she pulled the reigns up to her chest, causing Libertà to become stationary.

"A certain someone woke me up when they blasted their bathroom water. Running a bath in the sink Miche Milano?" I teased back. I also lied- well not entirely, the tap running on full blast for a consecutive five minutes did concern me but I was already awake. Why would I want to miss out on seeing her ride for the first time in what she would class as 'eternity'?"

Her cheeks began to flush a deep shade of pink and I could tell she was full of embarrassment, I almost felt guilty for mimicking her tone of voice when addressing her back by her surname. But it wasn't until she finally spoke did I realise she was thinking something completely different.

"The toothpaste- It was really strong sorry." She drops her head down low, diverting her gaze to the top of her horses head.

I couldn't help but let out a laugh. She was so cute and she didn't even realise it, she's so cute and I fucking hate it.

"Well, we better fix this problem then Ma'am. Wouldn't want you running up my water bill now would I" I tease once again, in a voice that suggests I'm being serious though.