Chapter 45: Christmas Confessions

Christmas Eve arrived, Kanae was celebrating it with Sanae, Miko and Saiguu again this year, but there was something different this time. Sasayuri, Saiguu's boyfriend and Akemi, Sanae's boyfriend were visiting.

"No matter how we see it, this is a double date. And Miko and I are just third and fourth wheelers." Kanae sweat dropped at the two couples conversing.

"On the topic of lovers, Kanae. Have you ever had a girlfriend?" Saiguu asked, putting her arm on Kanae's shoulder.

"H... Haha... No, I never had one. I couldn't even bring myself to talk to a girl." Kanae lightly laughed.

"The only girls you talked to were just us, Chiyo and Makoto. I still wonder how you managed to get close to Miko, though." Sanae laughed.

"How should I put this..." Kanae started sweating when he turned his head to Miko who was smiling at him.

"I didn't stop pestering Kanae until he had enough of it. At least, that was what Kanae said." Miko explained.

"Miko is such a sociable child that she can't silence herself when she finds someone interesting." Saiguu added.

"Oh, so Miko broke Kanae out of his shell?" Sasayuri asked and Saiguu gave him the nod.

"Miko was like that towards the young master of the Kamisato Clan until he was set for an arranged marriage for Thoma's older sister. Miko got shy around the two of them, she thought she might complicate their relationship." Saiguu told them so abruptly that Miko could only blush.

"Ahem, let's not talk about that." Miko lightly coughed to prevent Saiguu from talking more about it.

"But, when are you and Kanae going to go out together?" Saiguu asked, making Kanae choke in air and Miko cough harder.

"Pardon?" Kanae and Miko looked at her.

"The two of you seem like a good match. One is energetic and one is calm. I'd say it would be very cute if the two of you end up together." Saiguu giggled while waving her hands.

The two couples continued talking about their experiences together as a couple while both Kanae and Miko listened to them for a while.

"Kanae, care for a walk?" Miko asked him with a smile as she tugged his sweater.

"Excuse us. We'll go outside for a while." Kanae excused himself and Miko while they stood up.

"I see. Well, keep safe out there. The ground might be slippery." Sanae told them as she waved.

Kanae and Miko walked out of the apartment and went to the city where there was a city light display. It was cold and so was their conversation until Miko began a conversation.

"Christmas truly is a holiday for couples." Miko said as they walked together, underneath the Christmas lights and coming across many couples.

Miko turned her head to Kanae and saw him barely able to walk due to the ice on the ground.

"Miko... help." Kanae said.

One wrong move, Kanae would slip on ice and Miko laughed at the situation he is in.

"Alright." Miko said and she reached out for Kanae's hand to pull him out of the slippery ice.

"We haven't eaten that much earlier, so let's go buy some taiyaki." Miko pointed at a stall selling taiyaki.

Kanae followed Miko to the stall and paid for the two of them.

"I haven't eaten custard in a while. It feels like a whole new experience to me." Miko said as she ate hers.

"Isn't that Ayato? The woman next to him must be Thoma's older sister. I've known him for a long time, but I never met her before." Miko pointed at Ayato walking hand in hand with a woman who looked very similar to Thoma.

"Don't point at them. They might notice us." Kanae said as he slowly pulled Miko's hand down.

"Clearly, I don't see anything wrong with that. Perhaps, you're worried about something." Miko smiled at him.

"Hey, you two." Ayato spoke suddenly, making the two of them flinch.

"Merry Christmas, Miko. Kanae." Ayato greeted the two.

"Merry Christmas too, Ayato and..." The two said.

"The two of you must be Ayato's classmates. Therefore, you know my younger brother Thoma as well. My name is Tomie. Merry Christmas as well." The woman who they assume is Ayato's lover introduced herself.

"Yes, of course. Merry Christmas, Tomie." Kanae and Miko smiled at her.

"So, what are you two doing out here? Are you on a Christmas date too?" Ayato asked.

"Wh-Wh-Wha-? Of course not! We're just going for a walk around together in the city! We just bumped into each other on the way!" Kanae stuttered as he explained.

"Haha, he's like an open book." Ayato smiled at Kanae.

The four conversed for a while before separating ways. The longer the two stayed outside, they came across more couples. Some were even people they knew.

Kanae and Miko continued walking and buying different things from stalls until they arrived at a playground near the apartment when they were heading back.

"What kind of Christmas is this? There's a lot more couples than last year. Do you think they moved Valentine's day?" Miko asked Kanae while sitting down the swing.

"I guess so. You feel left out, don't you?" Kanae asked.

"Of course I do." Miko said.

"Why don't you try becoming like them?" Kanae asked.

"Haha, you must be joking. How can I-" Miko paused when she raised her head and saw Kanae extending her hand to her.

"Let me rephrase that. Why don't we try becoming like them?" Kanae asked, keeping his calm and serious face.

"Kanae, you don't mean..." Miko's smile disappeared as she realized something.

"Miko, I've made up my mind. I will definetly sound selfish saying this, but... I like you and I only want you to myself." Kanae said.

"Pfft... Hahaha. How can you say that in such a calm face? I can't tell if you're joking or not." Miko laughed at Kanae.

"I'm-" Kanae was interrupted by Miko standing up.

"Even if you were serious or not, my answer will always be the same."  Miko said and walked past Kanae.

"I see. It's a no-" Kanae was interrupted once again, but his head was turned around by Miko to land a kiss on his lips.

"Of course it's a yes." Miko said after freeing him from the kiss.

Kanae stood there frozen and with wide eyes. It took him a few seconds before he finally smiled.

"I... I swear to continue loving you through good times, boring days, tearful days, and arguments. Even through the darkest days where we don't feel the love coming from one. I'm ready to go through all that just to be with you." Kanae said, still smiling.

"Kanae, you have no idea how long I've been waiting for this." Miko said and she hugged Kanae.

"I too am willing to go through hardships as long as I'm with you and will be with you." Miko said as Kanae hugged her too.

"This feels like a wedding even though you just confessed." Miko giggled.

The weather was already cold before it was made colder by the snow falling down, but the two kept theirselves warm with their heartwarming conveying of love to each other.

Kanae and Miko returned to the apartment after a while, but it seems like the two men hasn't left yet. What the other four don't know, it isn't a double date anymore.