Chapter 20: Summer Festival Reunion

On their last night at Kyoto, Kanae and Miko were going together to attend the summer festival happening nearby. Kanae just pressed the doorbell outside the Yae household and Karin let him in almost instantly.

"Does your yukatas not fit you anymore, Kanae?" Karin asked him, while scanning Kanae who wore his casual clothes.

"Yes. I tried fitting them on me earlier, but I couldn't really wear it." Kanae nervohsly laughed.

"Worry not, Kanae! Your savior is here!" Karin proudly said and entered his room, returning a few minutes later with his yukata.

"I have some other yukatas that might fit you perfectly. Try it on, maybe it fits." Karin gave Kanae a thumbs up.

"Huh? Is it really alright?" Kanae asked.

"Oh, of course it is! I already told you didn't I? You're like a son in our family!" Karin said as he ruffled Kanae's hair.

"I-I see. Thank you, Uncle Karin." Kanae thanked Karin with a smile, before Karin let Kanae change in his room.

After a while, Kanae walked out of the room, in the yukata and Miko just finished putting on her yukata, waiting for him at the living room.

"It perfectly suits you, Kanae. I should just give it to you since I've still got at least three sets of yukatas. Take it as a late birthday gift from me. By the way, you can borrow my geta outside. It'll match the yukata." Karin said.

"I can't really take anything like this from you, but I'm grateful, Uncle Karin. Thank you so much for this." Kanae said.

"Well, you two should leave early before it gets crowded." Karin said as he pats both Miko and Kanae's heads.

"We'll be leaving then." Miko waved her hands as she and Kanae walked outside to finally head to the summer festival, leaving a teary-eyed Karin.

"You look beautiful... in your yukata, Miko." Kanae suddenly complimented Miko, catching her off guard.

"You look great in my father's yukata, Kanae." Miko said while she brushed a few strands of Kanae's hair to the side.

The two walked together to the mountain side and arrived in just a few minutes of walking. The summer festival there was a bit more crowded than they expected since this was one of the summer festivals where people could get a nice view of the fireworks from the mountain.

"Kanae, let's not lose sight of each other, shall we?" Miko said before they both entered the crowd.

The two of them walked around and saw some food stalls along with game stalls with winning prizes displayed.

"You should try this game, Kanae." Miko pointed at the shooting game stall where they use toy rifles to shoot at a can.

"Okay. It looks entertaining to me." Kanae said as he watched others attempt to play the game.

Kanae paid for five bullets and aimed to shoot three cans, in order to get a pink fox plush on display as a winning prize.

"Shoot when you feel like it. No pressure, and no rush." The stall owner said as he handed Kanae the toy gun.

"What a cheat... It's so windy tonight..." Kanae observed the wind while aiming the gun at the cans.

As soon as the wind stopped, Kanae immediately shot three cans before the wind could blow again.

"Woah, you're pretty good at this, young man." The stall owner praised Kanae as he reached for the pink fox plush.

"Haha, my sister is better at games like this." Kanae nervously laughed and accepted the pink fox plush before he and Miko continued looking around.