Chapter 27: Second Year

After the cultural festival at school, winter break finally started the same time it started snowing. Kanae celebrated Christmas and New Years during the winter break with Sanae, Miko and Saiguu. There was nothing out of the blue happened.

When winter break ended, they continued school normally for three more months before spring break and another school year starts.

Today, it's Kanae and his classmates' first day in second year highschool along with having juniors for the first time in highschool.

Today is a rare occasion again. Kanae is running late to school. He should've gone to school earlier with Miko, Ei and Sara again, but for some reasons, he couldn't.

"Um, are you from Teyvat High...?" Kanae felt someone ask him from behind.

"Yes." Kanae turned around to see a group of two boys and two girls.

"We're saved..." One of the boys commented.

"Could you show us the way to Teyvat High after getting off the train station? The route shown in the map is pretty complicated." The silver haired girl asked.

"Yeah, sure. Just follow me, and make it quick. The five of us are running late." Kanae said.

"Eh?! Isn't it like 45 minutes until the opening ceremony starts?" The ash grey haired boy with countless scars on his arm asked, panickingly.

"Well, it's a 40-minute train ride and a walk for 7-10 minutes." Kanae explained and they started walking.

"This is bad!" The started worrying.

"I, Fischl, Prinzessin der Verurteilung grants thee the honor to state thy name!" The blonde haired girl who called herself, Fischl said.

"Wha-... Prinzessin der what now?" Kanae looked at them with a confused face.

"Ah! Fischl asks your name. My name is Noelle. And the two boys behind us are Razor and Bennett. The four of us are first years. Nice to meet you!" Noelle introduced theirselves to Kanae with a smile.

"I'm Kiritani Kanae. A second year." Kanae said and looked back to the front.

"We sincerely apologize for not calling you "senpai," Kiritani-senpai!" Noelle apologized.

"No, there's no need to apologize. It's not much of a big deal." Kanae said.

"This somehow reminds me of my first encounter with Ei and Miko..." Kanae scratched his cheek, thinking of the time he first met Miko and Ei.

"The train is here. We should get in." Kanae told the four and they quickly made their way inside the train.

The rest of the trip to school was silent for Kanae since it was only the four that talked together. If they were to talk to him, it'd be questions and he would answer quickly.

"It feels unusually quiet without Miko..." Kanae thought while they walk together.

As they walk, Kanae felt his phone vibrating in his pocket. Kanae took it out and saw Miko calling him, so he answered the call.

"Kanae, the opening ceremony is starting in five minutes. Where are you?" Miko asked.

"I'm at... Oh..." Kanae suddenly realized where they were.

"I'm at the bakery shop we usually go to. I just got off the train." Kanae said.

"Hm? You might not make it in five minutes. You must hurry now." Miko said before ending the call.

"You four..." Kanae turned his head to the group of boys and girls following him.

"Is there a problem, Kiritani-senpai?" Noelle asked.

"We might not make it. Should we run for it?" Kanae asked with a nervous smile.

"I-If we can't make it in five minutes, I'm alright with running then!" Bennett said and they started running to school.

They managed to make it in time. However, there was a problem.

"Hey, Miko. Why isn't the opening ceremony starting yet?" Kanae asked Miko as he walked towards her from behind.

"Haha, it was just a joke, Kanae." Miko giggled while waving her hand.

"This-!" Kanae grew an irk mark and the first years behind him except Noelle turned pale.

"Sorry for making you four run. I should have checked my other messages." Kanae apologized to the four of them.

"No, it's alright. It was a good workout in the mor-..." Noelle paused when she saw her friends panting.

"Are you three alright?!" Noelle panicked as she checked on her friends.

"Hm? Did you come to school with these four?" Miko asked.

"Well, so, so. They didn't know the way to school after we get off the train station, so I let them follow me." Kanae explained and Miko started giggling again.

"Reminds me of that time-" Miko was cut off by Kanae.

"No, it does not remind you of that." Kanae said.

"Well, then. Thank you, Kiritani-senpai for helping us get here. We'll be joining our classmates." Noelle said and the four of them left.

After attending the opening ceremony, the students head to the school's front bulletin board to see what class they were on. Unfortunately, Kanae and Miko were the only ones in their friend group with Ganyu were in a different class.

"It really does feel different without them, don't you think, Kanae?" Miko asked as they walked to their classroom together.

"I guess. It doesn't really feel different since you're with me most of the time." Kanae said.

The two of them entered the classroom and chose a seat at the back of the classroom.

"Good morning, Kiritani-kun. Yae-san. I never expected to be classmates with you this year. Let's get along well." Yelan greeted them when she arrives.

"Morning. Let's get along this year too." Kanae said.

"Good morning too, Yelan. Let's have a nice year together." Miko smiled as Yelan sat next to Kanae.

"My, how brave." Miko's eyes narrowed even though she was smiling at Yelan.

"Is this seat, free?" Shenhe asked Miko, pointing at the seat between her and Ganyu.

"Yes, it is." Miko smiled again at Shenhe as she sat down.

"Kanae is surrounded by potential rivals..." Miko kept the smile on her face until their teacher arrived.

Once the teacher arrived, they started with introductions.