Chapter 4: First Week (4)

Kanae sat between the three friends who chatted together before Mr. Sato arrived to start homeroom. He collected the sheets of paper he gave them yesterday, but Sato-sensei said his students were going to move chairs based on the things they like written on the introduction sheet he gave them.

Kanae only added something from what he said yesterday in his introduction that something he liked was finding a quiet place to feel calm and relaxed while also not drawing a lot of attention towards him.

Mr. Sato started moving his students from their seats and Miko was moved away from Kanae's seat. This was good enough already for him. Kanae doesn't despise her or anything, but her energy just doesn't match his that Kanae gets easily uncomfortable. He isn't mad about her teasing his height and commonly feminine name either since she doesn't joke about it to make Kanae feel insecure.

"Kiritani, move the chair between Xiao and Ganyu." Mr. Sato told Kanae while the lady named Ganyu raised her hand. Of all the places in the classroom, the seat next to the window-far from the door that would secure him an easy exit to buy early from the bread shop in the floor above them.

Kanaw walked to his new seat and for the first time at school, he sat next to two people shorter than him. Such confidence has not flown through Kanae for a while. These two looks more quiet and he could match their energy with. Maybe they're the ones who Kanae will be able to be close friends with if only he had an idea how to approach people and make friends.

"Hello, Kiritani-san. I'm Ganyu. Nice to meet you." The light blue haired girl smiled brightly at Kanae. He actually doesn't know why Mr. Sato would let him sit next to her, but Kanae can tell she's a nice person already.

But, being between Ganyu and Xiao makes him feel like a gray line between black and white. Ganyu looks so cheerful and bright, but Xiao looks very... bored. His eyes looks so uninterested and he would stare blankly at the window.

Kanae looked around for Miko and her friends, noticing that they too were separated. Ei was next to someone who literally had no energy as well. Sara was seated next to Ningguang. While Miko sat next to the one of the tallest people in the room, Beidou and Itto. Kanae thinks Mr. Sato did an accurate job in arranging seats for his students based on their personalities and personal preferences.

"That'll be for homeroom today and it's almost time for your first class. I'll be heading out." Mr. Sato said and he left the room before their English teacher arrived a few minutes after Mr. Sato left to start class.

Everything went well for the rest of Kanae's classes and their awaited lunch break finally arrived.

"Xiao, let's eat lunch together with Zhongli and Hu Tao." Ganyu stood up from her chair while holding her lunch box and invited Xiao to eat outside the classroom with their friends.

"Alright." Xiao said and took out his lunch box.

"Ah, that reminds me. Kiritani-san, would you mind if we exchanged LINE IDs? Since we're classamtes, I thought it would be convenient for to know each other's IDs." Ganyu suddenly asked before she left with Xiao and pulled out her phone.

"LINE ID? Oh, yeah. Sure." Kanae nodded and handed her his phone so that Ganyu can add him as a friend.

"Thank you so much." Ganyu smiled as she handed back Kanae's phone.

"Don't mention it." Kanae replied with a smile.

"Xiao, I think you should too. Zhongli recommended us that it would be convenient if you exchanged LINE IDs with your classmates." Ganyu suggested and Xiao seemed bothered about it.

"W-Well, if Kiritani doesn't mind." Xiao said and he handed Kanae his phone so Kanae can add his ID.

"No, I don't mind." Kanae replied and added Xiao to his friends list before handing his phone back.

"Ganyu! Xiao! You've got a guest!" A classmate of theirs called out for them at the door where they saw a tall man stand outside.

"We're coming, Zhongli!" Ganyu smiled and she left with Xiao.

"Why does everyone have to be so tall..." Kanae thought while he watched Ganyu and Xiao approach the senior as his self esteem started getting lower and lower.

"I saw you just exchanged LINE IDs with my sister, Ganyu." Kanae turned his head to the front and saw Miko, Ei and Sara stand in front of him.

"Huh? Sister? You don't look anything like her." Kanae told Miko who giggled.

"Our bond is like sisters. We've been friends since childhood. But, never mind that for now. Do you want to go eat with us? You seem lonely here. Did you miss us that much?" Miko asked with a smirk and an irk mark appeared on Kanae's forehead.

"I don't even know you three that much. How would I miss you?" Kanae asked while he took out the lunch his sister prepared.

"So, are you eating with us or not? Our lunch time is limited. We can't waste time." Sara asked once again and Kanae felt like he could try eating with someone once in a while, so he nodded.

"On the topic of exchanging LINE IDs with Ganyu, we should exchange IDs too, Kanae. We've been friends for two days and yet we still don't know your ID." Miko told Kanae who hesitantly handed her his phone-in hopes she isn't the type of person to spam calls or messages.

After classes for today, Kanae saw some students putting up club recruitment posters on the school's bulletin boards and in the hallways. Filled with curiosity Kanae looked at some of the posters and noticed some interesting clubs. Knowing that this was mandatory, he started thinking about what club to join.

Kanae arrived home after a while and realized he was supposed to go grocery shopping today, so he had to remind his sister and messaged her that she might have to wait for dinner tonight if he's going to take long in grocery shopping.