Chapter 26: Horror Escape Room

After hours of serving people, it was finally break time for Year 1 Class 1. They had an hour and a half for a break before returning to the classroom. With this time, Childe, Kaeya and Itto decided to go walk around the school and visit other classrooms.

"We should try visiting Shinobu's class. I heard from her that they were doing a haunted house." Itto invited the three boys with him.

"That's going to be fun, then! Let me pay for our tickets as long as we get to go together!" Childe laughed, putting his arms around them.

"Kanae, your face turned pale. Don't tell me you're scared of them." Kaeya laughed as he slapped Kanae's back playfully.

"No, I just remembered something." Kanae said, recalling the events during the test of courage.

In case you forgot, they were chased by Kuchisake-onna, a slit-mouthed woman from Japanese mythology. At first, Kanae, Dainsleif, Aether and Heizou thought it was one of the teachers dressed up as one until Mr. Sato told them none of the teachers dressed up as Kuchisake-onna.

The group of boys arrived in front of the Year 1 Class 2 classroom, and it really was decorated like a haunted house.

Suddenly, a group of students ran out of the haunted house before the boys could even see their faces. They just guessed they were really scared.

"Hey! You forgot your complimentary prizes!" Heizou called for the group of students that ran away, but they still didn't stop.

"Good grief. I guess I'll give them their prizes some other time if not later. We have their names listed here, anyways." Heizou sighed.

"Ah, you four. What brings you here?" Heizou asked with a bright smile.

"Idiot. They're obviously here for the haunted house." Shinobu said from behind, giving Heizou a light hand chop on his head.

"Yeah! We're here for the haunted house and show you all that we ain't getting scared of it like the others!" Itto laughed hysterically.

"Yeah, sure. Say what you want." Heizou and Shinobu glared at Itto.

"I'll buy tickets for the four of us." Childe said, already taking out his wallet.

"Let us explain the instructions while our team inside reorganizes the items inside." Heizou said.

"Okay. But, we don't have tickets here. We're only asking visitors to find five codes inside the haunted house. Once you do that, we'll know and open the doors." Shinobu explained as she accepted Kaeya's payment.

"Huh? What... What do you mean, "open the doors"?" Kaeya asked.

"We'll be locking the doors until you find the five codes or until you reach the 10-minute mark. However, you won't receive a prize if you reach the 10-minute mark." Heizou added to Shinobu's explanation.

"Don't think you only need to find the codes. You're going to solve puzzles and search for certain things to find them." Shinobu said.

"That's no problemo for us. It'll be easy." Itto said.

"Come in, then." Heizou smiled as he opened the door to their classroom.

"Before that, hand us your phones. We can't let you spoil the fun inside the haunted house." Shinobu told the four boys and they did as she said.

Inside, it was really dark and the four boys could barely see something, but they still entered together before Heizou locked the door with the two of them inside.

"I see. It's a horror-themed escape room." Kanae said after he observed the classroom.

"Huh?! Aren't those things usually hard?" Itto asked.