Chapter 14: Middle School Summer Camp Volunteer (1)

The day of the summer camp came, and Kanae with the other volunteer staff and photography club arrived at the camp where the summer camp event is happening.

For some reason, Watanabe is not able to go to school today due to him catching a summer cold, so they decided to replace Watanabe with Kanae who was powerless to refuse.

"Hey, isn't that nice, Kanae? You don't have to worry that much about taking a lot of photos." Miko asked with a smile.

"Huh? Yeah." Kanae didn't even mind Miko's question because he didn't have enough sleep after packing up late last night and waking up early.

"Let's go meet the middle schoolers." Mr. Sato said and the group followed after him.

They stood in front of the middle schoolers, towering over them.

"I feel tall all of a sudden." Kanae stared at the middle schoolers with sparkles around him.

"Now, then. Let us introduce the students and teacher from Teyvat High that will be helping us." The middle school teacher said and handed the mic to Mr. Sato.

"Hello, everyone. I'm Sato-sensei from Teyvat High. These eight are my students who will be assisting with your summer camp." Mr. Sato introduced himself and his students after in front of the middle schoolers before the same middle school teacher earlier announces the first event of the summer camp.

"Split in groups of two and watch over the middle schoolers." Mr. Sato said.

"Hey, Kanae. Let's go together." Miko invited him.

"Okay." Kanae nodded and followed Miko to the group they were watching over.

"You should sound less monotone today. You might scare the children." Miko said.

"There's nothing I can do. I was forced into this instead of resting." Kanae replied while he followed Aether's sign to take a photo of the group of middle schoolers.

"Ah, there's a student left behind." Kanae said, pointing at the little girl at the back of the group.

"You're right. I'll go talk to her." Miko said and she walked towards the little girl.

"Hello. Are you tired? You can ask me for help if you are. We can take a small break here and catch up to your classmates later if you are." Miko smiled at the little girl, letting out some strong caring aura.

"I'm not tired. I just don't want to stay close with them." The little girl said.

"Hm? Why is that? Did you get into a fight with your classmates?" Miko asked.

"No. I don't like socializing. People called me gloomy." The little girl replied while looking at a different direction.

"Is that so? Then, why not try making friends even just one friend? Wouldn't it be great if you were to make friends to make better memories during the summer camp?" Miko told her, and it took a few seconds for the little girl to reply.

"I don't want to." The little girl said.

"I see. Then, could you tell me your name?" Miko asked with another bright smile.

"Asuka. Miyanami Asuka. My name." Asuka introduced herself.

"I'm Yae Miko. Nice to meet you, Miyanami-chan. If you have trouble making friends, how about we become friends?" Miko said and chose to accompany Asuka instead of leaving her.

After the orienteering, they reached the camp where they would spend the night and do their activities.

Miko rejoined Kanae when she saw him sitting on a log, surprisingly not tired.

"You don't look tired today. Have you increased your stamina for the past few months ever since that gym class incident?" Miko asked with a bright smile.

"Yeah. I've been exercising." Kanae replied.

"I think you've been getting tall too. What was your height when we first met and your current height?" Miko asked.

"163 centimeters and 169 centimeters now. Only a centimeter away from becoming as tall as sister." Kanae said as his eyes shined with excitement.

"It took me long to realize you've grown taller than us. Seeing how tall you grow, I'm curious on how tall you could get on our graduation." Miko giggled.

"I wonder... By the way, how was the girl earlier?" Kanae asked and Miko's smile became small.

"Her name is Miyanami Asuka-chan. Apparently, she has trouble socializing with people." Miko summarized it, knowing Kanae would only complain if she put too much detail to it.

"Ah, I see. I thought she'd be like me in middle school that I could get a deeper understanding of her." Kanae said.

"Why? What'd happen to you during your middle school? Could it be... you were also a loner?" Miko grinned while massaging Kanae's shoulders.

"Let's go join the others. We still have to cook dinner for them." Kanae stood up and walked to the outdoor kitchen.

"Don't change the topic, Kanae." Miko followed Kanae and grabbed onto his shoulders.

"We're talking about the girl, not me." Kanae scoffed.

The two of them walked together back to the outdoor kitchen where they are cooked dinner to eat for all of them in the camp.

After they've eaten dinner, Kanae returned to the boy's room in the lodge and saw Dainsleif and Aether already in their beds.

"Hey, Kiritani-kun. They were handing out some snacks for us, but we couldn't find you. Where have you been?" Heizou asked and handed Kanae a bag of snacks.

"It's mostly sweets. I'll take only the granola bar. I was looking around the forest." Kanae said while he returned the bag to Heizou.

"Thanks." Heizou smiled.

"Oh, Kanae. Are you a top or bottom person?" Heizou suddenly asked, catching the attention of Aether, Dainsleif, and the girls at the other room.

"Which will it be?" Miko and Keqing wondered after they just choked on oxygen while having a series of BL novels flooding their mind of the two boys as Jean pats their back.

"Huh?" Kanae blushed.

"Do you want to sleep on top of the bunk bed or at the bottom? You're really red. Did you catch a fever?" Heizou rephrased his question from earlier.

"So, that's what he meant." Miko and Keqing started choking on oxygen again as the BL thoughts on their mind started disappearing.

"I'll sleep on top, but if you want to sleep at the top, we can change places. Although, Shikanoin-kun, please use your words properly. I almost thought about something else." Kanae scolded Heizou who seemed clueless of what Kanae meant.