Chapter 21: Sports Festival Preparation

A few months after their second semester started, the school was having another school event-the sports festival, an annual event they have at school where they spend a whole day playing games.

Currently, Mr. Sato will be doing a draw on who was playing for each game. He will pull out a piece of paper with one of his students' names written on it for each game.

"Four the mixed gender relay race, we have; Kiritani Kanae, Xiao, Beidou and Raiden Ei." Mr. Sato announced.

"The relay race... huh? I hope it doesn't happen again." Kanae said, remembering a sight of children pointing their fingers at a younger version of him.

Mr. Sato pulled out more pieces of paper for each game they were playing. Ningguang and Beidou are competing in the three-legged race. Sara and Ganyu for the ball toss game. And everyone will play in the cavalry battle. But those who aren't able to, will either cheer for their teams.

After classes, Kanae and Ei are unable to go home with Miko and Sara for now since Beidou asked them if they could stay at school for a while and meet her at the track and field.

"The two of you have finally arrived." Beidou smiled at Kanae and Ei when she saw them.

"Now, why might be the reason for you to call us here?" Ei asked.

"I wanted to see who could run halfway the fastest in all four of us, so I could tell where each of us should be placed." Beidou explained.

"I see. So, whoever is the fastest will either be the first or last to run in order to create a gap against our opponent or retain our position if ever we end up in first place." Xiao immediately understood what Beidou meant.

"That's right." Beidou said.

"Let's make this quick, so let's change into our gym class uniform." Xiao said.

The four immediately went to change into their gym class uniforms before they stood at the starting point.

"We'll run on your mark, Beidou." Xiao said.

"3... 2... 1... go!" Beidou shouted and they started running.

It was a slow run at first, Xiao was leading in first place followed by Beidou and Ei. Kanae was in last place again, but he wasn't going to pass out again like he did before.

"Kanae, are you alright?" Ei asked Kanae, worried he might pass out all of a sudden.

"I'm alright." Kanae said and started speeding up.

It didn't take long before Kanae caught up to Beidou and Ei before dashing past them, reaching Xiao in just a matter of seconds-surprising all three of them, including a spectator from inside the school building.

"Commendable, Kiritani." Xiao said, seeing Kanae surpass him for just a few seconds.

They reached the ending point of their run, Xiao finished first, but Kanae almost caught up to Xiao at the last second. Beidou made it in third while Ei was at last place.

"I've decided." Beidou said as she sat on the grass.

"Raiden will run first, I'll be next, then Xiao, and lastly, Kiritani. We're lucky we got both Kiritani and Xiao on the relay race. We might just win!" Beidou laughed heartily.

"We still have to watch out for someone. Yelan from class 2 is faster than all of us. Everything depends on our last guy and the rest of Yelan's team." Xiao told them.

"It's alright. I'll do my best." Kanae said with a determined look on his face.

"That's the first time I've seen you look so determined." Ei said.

"Well, no one wants to lose any games in the sports festival, do they?" Beidou asked.

"That's right." Xiao nodded.

"Well, let's head home now and get ready for Monday. Be sure to rest well on Sunday so we can run at our fullest. Let's win this race!" Beidou said with a laugh that motivated them.

"She's so cool..." The three looked at Beidou with sparkles around them despite not having a change in their uninterested facial expressions.

The four of them walked home on separate ways, but Kanae was still with Ei at the train station on their way home. The two of them just sat next to each other without saying a word, not having Miko with them just feels different for both of them.

"Does it feel strange that Miko is not here with us?" Ei asked, trying to start a conversation.

"I guess so. We hardly talk when she's not with us." Kanae replied.

"I see. I hope I don't make you feel uncomfortable around me." Ei said.

"No, not really. Though, I do feel the same way." Kanae lightly laughed.

"No, you don't make me feel uncomfortable either." Ei giggled.

"Hey, Kanae. Do you like any sweets? I know you rarely eat them, but I was wondering if you had a favorite sweet." Ei asked.

"Let me think... I ate a lot of strawberry daifuku as a child. Your sister used to bring a lot of them for me when visiting Miko's sister in the countryside that I grew fond of it." Kanae smiled as he started reminiscing about it.

"So you were the reason she'd always buy an extra box of daifuku before visiting Miko's sister in Kyoto." Ei smiled as well.

The two of them talked until they arrived at the train station and while Kanae accompanied Ei on her way back since it was a bit late.

"Well, then. I'm heading in, Kanae. See you on Monday." Ei said as she waved her hand.

"Mm. See you." Kanae said before he walked home.

"I'm home." Ei told her sister who was preparing dinner and her brother that was watching the television.

"Was that Kanae-chan you were talking with?" Makoto asked.

"Yes. He accompanied me on my way home." Ei said.

"A gentleman Kanae-chan is, don't you think?" Makoto smiled as she puts her hand on her cheek.

"I don't really see him as a gentleman. Perhaps it's because we rarely talk, that I can't really see him as one. But, I he's someone I have mutual and equal respect." Ei also smiled.

"I just hope someone here would also act like Kanae-chan when he was a child. He was such a sweet child." Makoto giggled.

"If you're talking about me-just say my name, old hag!" The younger brother, Kunikuzushi complained from the living room.

"I used to bring him a lot of strawberry daifuku and he would always smile so bright. Kanae-chan would always give me a kiss on the cheek whenever I asked for it." Makoto continued talking about Kanae, ignoring Kunikuzushi's babbling.