Mayans [EZ Reyes]

Start from the beginning

"I-I'm good. But you don't appear to be. What's going on?"

"Nothing. I'm fine." You pull back and wipe at your face again, sniffling as you smile. "Don't worry about it."

"Family worries about family."

His words make your heart ache even more and you're quick to wipe away the next tear that falls. "I haven't had family in quite some time, Chuck."

"But the Sons-"

You shake your head, smiling sadly. "It's a long story." You can't help but glance at the two Mexican men standing behind him, watching curiously. "And from the look of those two, you have somewhere to be." You nod at each of them before giving Chucky your full attention. "You still have my number, right?"

"Of course."

"Then when you're not busy, shoot me a text. We'll meet up and I'll tell you all about what led to me living here."

He smiles at you. "I can do that."

You hug him one last time before addressing the Mayan men. "Please keep an eye on this one," you gesture to Chucky. "He's the only family I have left."

"Will do, querida." The Mayan who assures you has an El Secretario patch on his kutte and the one at his side has a Prospect one. Both of them smile at you.

Then with one last look at Chucky, you make your way to your car to head back home.

You and Chucky trade texts for a few days, but you're not able to meet up until after you've already started work at the clinic

You and Chucky trade texts for a few days, but you're not able to meet up until after you've already started work at the clinic. The clinic was small and, though most of your patients were kids or the elderly, you really liked it. It wasn't the hustle and bustle of an ER, but the new speed of it all felt like a breath of fresh air.

When the weekend comes, Chucky asks you to meet him at the Mayans clubhouse. You're hesitant at first because of your past connection to the Sons, but Chucky promises he's vouched for you and that you're welcomed. So when you pull up to Romero Brothers Scrap and Salvage yard, you're not surprised when Chucky meets you by the gates and directs you where to park.

When you get off in the dusty parking area, you shield your eyes from the sun as Chucky leads you into the clubhouse. The Mayans clubhouse is not at all what you were expecting- the green and white of the building throwing you off. Chucky chuckles at your expression as you walk up the wooden steps and then holds the door open for you. The inside seems a bit more updated than what the Sons clubhouse looked like and thankfully it doesn't quite smell the same. Sure there is the smell of alcohol and cigarette smoke, but the smell of sex is absent and you're grateful for that. You don't know how the guys openly had sex for all to see. That was one thing that never sat quite well with you.

Chucky gestures to a table and tells you to take a seat while he goes to get drinks. And as soon as you sit, you're being joined by two Mayans- one you saw the other day and another with slightly wavy hair cut above his shoulders and a slightly crooked nose.