Chapter 42

"So?"

Karim couldn't read her face.

"As expected, I didn't get an average in my last exam but I have enough credits to graduate." Zaira grinned.

Karim had a proud smile plastered on his face.
"I knew you could do it. Congratulations, baby." Karim pulled her to him and kissed her forehead, to which Zaira almost screamed internally at.

And not an obsessed fangirl scream.
A 'I want to shoot something' scream.

Did Karim hate her? Or he still couldn't forgive her for leaving? She was trying to change. Be the perfect, calm, ideal wife. Why wasn't he seeing that?

Stop thinking that.

Just because Karim hadn't touched her since everything settled didn't mean he hated her. Right?

She was just overthinking.

"Zaira? Zaira?" Karim nudged her a bit harder catching her attention.

"You seemed lost in thought."

"Oh it's nothing."

"Well, remember when I said I'd get you all you wanted if you passed your exams?"

"Yes. But you said if I got nothing less than an average." Zaira puckered her lips in what was supposed to be an angry pucker but she had more in mind.

Kiss me. Please.

Karim responded by tapping her lips with his index finger.

It took all the power in her not to force him to kiss her.

Give him time. You can't just start of by raping the poor man.

"Well, I believed you could pass so I got something small for you as a gift."

"Oooo what is it? A cake? I like cake. Is it strawberry? I hope not."  Looking around the room, she scanned for any sign of a cake but found nothing.

"You wanted a cake?" Karim raised a brow in confusion.

"Well yes? Not a giant cake. A cake I can eat alone at least so maybe a bit giant?" She released an unladylike chuckle, earning a smile from Karim."So where is the cake? I hope it's chocolate. I like chocolate." Karim cleared his throat. "I didn't think you'd want a cake but I'll get a cake for you. We can get one when we go to Aracruz for your graduation."

"We don't need to go to Aracruz. I'll have my degree mailed to me."
Zaira wasn't planning on returning to Aracruz just for a graduation ceremony. But Karim had been hinting and insisting on it for a while.

"But I want to see you graduate."

"People might recognize you, Karim." Zaira frowned. "And?" Zaira stared at him as if he had grown two heads.
"And?... they'll speculate and..." She traced off because she really had no excuse.

"And nothing. I'm a future king, Zaira. I can't remain hidden forever."

"But they will see you with me." Zaira looked away. She wasn't insecure. She just didn't want anyone looking at her like she didn't belong by Karim's side. Hell, she knew that. But she didn't need to be reminded by strangers.

Karim held her chin up and locked their gazes. And it felt to Zaira that he wasn't going to let go anytime soon.

"And they'll see just how much I love you."

Zaira had no control over her facial muscles and broke into a wide smile. She seemed to always get giddy and excited whenever Karim said he loved her. It was the only reason why she was being patient with him avoiding touching her apart from the random hugs and kisses on her head.