Chapter 21

Karim was flipping through a random magazine in the plane when he heard footsteps approaching him from behind.

She was awake. That took longer than expected.

"Where am I, Karim?"

Karim didn't turn but could feel her gaze burning at his back.

"In a plane?" Karim mumbled.

"I mean where exactly am I?"

"I'd say in the sky over some random country."

"Why are you doing this, Karim? Why would you drug me and take me away with you?"

Karim stood up from his seat to face her.
He narrowed his gaze. "You should be happy I brought you along after drugging you. I clearly recall, you drugged me and left. Without so much as a single word. No goodbye. No fucking explanation. Just a stupid letter with another stupid explanation and divorce papers."

"What did you want me to do? If we had talked, you'd have just talked me out of it. Keep me on lockdown just to get me to stay!" Zaira gritted out.

"At least we would have talked! That's what a relationship is supposed to be about! Communication! You don't just decide to leave without giving me a reasonable explanation so we could work it out!"

"I gave you an explanation! I gave you a damn letter explaining everything!"

"That was bullshit and you know it! You left...because of me? 'Oh if you really love him, then let him go' shit, is it not? Last I checked, this was reality! Not a fucking fairytale!"

"I didn't leave because of you! I left for you."

"Your highness, miss. Um. We-We will be experiencing some turbulence...It's best if-if..."
Clearly she didn't want to get in the middle of them.

"Get the fuck out!" Zaira growled at the woman who quickly run off without a second's thought.

"You have no right to order her, Z!" Karim gritted.

"Stop fucking calling me that! My name's Zaira!" Her voice shook.

Everytime Karim called her Z, she felt she would explode into tears.

"Well that's exactly what I'll keep calling you. Zaira never existed. You just showed me fragments of her." Karim exhaled through his mouth. His tone lowering significantly. "Because, I know Zaira would never leave me like you did. She'd never hurt me. She'd love me unconditionally. You'll never be able to imagine the pain I went through. You broke me. When you already knew how broken I was. I put my everything in you. Everything, Z. My whole life was in your hands. And you just threw everything away like it meant... nothing."

Karim's lip trembled.

Even Zaira couldn't ignore the raw pain etched on his face and in his voice.

"I had to, Karim. I just wish you'd understand." Zaira raked her hair back.

Karim's gaze held fire. "You had to do nothing! You had a choice. You decided to leave. There's nothing to understand. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. There's a huge shame on me then. Because I let you fool me twice, Z. I should have never forgiven you. Never."

Zaira felt her whole heart was about to give away any second. But she had to be firm. It was better Karim hated her. It was the only way he could move on.

"Zaira. Zaira. Zaira. It's very simple. Or you just can't mention it?" Zaira glared.

Karim ground his teeth. "I don't care. This argument is over!" Karim turned but stopped when Zaira spoke.