Chapter 22

Karim just stared at Zaira.

He couldn't even form a sentence.

She sacrificed their love?

So he wouldn't sacrifice his position as king?

Was she serious? Did...

Karim's thought were cut off when Maher walked into the cabin with a tablet in hand probably playing a game.

"Mommy?" He looked up at his mother and smiled.

"You're awake!" He ran into her hands.

"I am. Are you okay?" Zaira checked him for any injuries.

"I wouldn't hurt my own son. Or any child for that matter."

"He isn't your son."

"Again with the...

"Why are you two fighting all the time?"  Maher pouted in confusion.

"What? We're not fighting..."

"Yes you are. Uncle Ali told me to come and stop you two from fighting."

Karim rolled his eyes.

Ali had sent Maher to them to diffuse the impending explosion that they clearly were.

"Uncle Ali is wrong." Zaira insisted.

"Um. No. You are both fighting like my friends in school. My teacher said fighting is bad. Very bad. But sometimes my friends still fight. But we're little. Grownups shouldn't fight."

Karim blinked at the little boy. His mind was way past his age.

"We're not fighting. Just disagreeing." Karim tried to fix.

"What is disgrinig?" Maher questioned.

"Um. Well, when two people don't think the same way about something, they disagree." Karim explained as simply as he could.

"But you're adults." Maher was confused.

Weren't adults supposed to be wise?

"You know what? Let's get you buckled up in a seat before the plane lands." Zaira changed the topic.

"Okay." He nodded before being placed into an empty seat and being buckled up.

Karim just gazed at the little boy who sat still as Z buckled him up and turned his game back on for him to play.

When Karim was sure Maher's attention was occupied, he spoke in a small voice so not to grab Maher's attention.

"You compared the love we shared to a simple throne. A throne which paled in comparison to you at that time. So what if I ended up giving up my position? It would have meant nothing because I love you. You were just looking out for yourself. Not me. And the earlier you see that the better for you."

Zaira didn't miss the fact that he said love in the present tense.

Karim's rant came to an end and he sat back into his seat.

"Use another cabin. I don't want you here." Karim mumbled. His head hanging low.

Zaira just blinked.