Chapter 19

"What are you doing here? How did you find me?" Zaira asked instantly ignoring the squeezing of her heart.

He was right in front of her. She couldn't believe her eyes. She just wanted to run to him and be engulfed in his embrace.
But that wasn't the plan.

"Do you hate me that much that you'd want us to talk out here in the cold?" Karim raised a brow.

Zaira didn't want to let him in. But she knew Karim wasn't a fan of the cold. It might not be part of the plan but that was Karim. Her Karim. The only man she still loved with every single fiber in her body.

Zaira made sure her face held no emotion. Not a single one.

"Fine. But just you. Your friend can freeze to death out here for all I care." Zaira glared at Ali.

"Wait in the car, Ali." Karim instructed.

"But, your highness..." Ali tried to protest.

"I'll be fine, Ali. Don't worry." Karim assured him.

"Lead the way." Karim said to Zaira who turned without a single word towards the front door of the house.

Karim followed silently.

〰️

"Now you're inside. Tell me what you want from me and leave." Zaira stated firmly.

"Now why would you think..."

"You came!" Maher run to Karim who picked him up.

"I said I would, right?"

"Maher? Let him go and come here right now." Zaira frowned.

"You went to his daycare." Zaira mumbled.

"Vanessa. I'll kill her." She seethed.

"She didn't have a choice. But if you touch her, I'll never forgive you." Karim threatened.

Zaira was quiet for a few seconds before she spoke.

"And I should care because?"

"Let's not prolong this conversation."

"Give Maher to me." Zaira insisted.

Karim placed Maher on his feet and watched him walk to Zaira who moved him behind her.

"You see. I don't mean any harm. I'm just here to talk."

"Then talk."

"I have a question. I need an honest reply." Karim said.

Zaira didn't say anything else so Karim took it as a positive sign to continue.

"Where you ever with another man after you run away?" Karim asked his question.

Zaira's face contorted in confusion.

"What?"

In a millisecond, Karim was right in front of her, nose buried into her neck, hands on the curve of her waist and the small of her back.

Zaira could feel his breath on her skin.
She shivered.
God, how long had it been really?

"Has a man ever been this close to you after you left me?" Karim muttered into her neck.

Okay so Karim didn't plan on getting this close at all. He didn't remember moving. All he could think about was breathing her in and holding her close. He was breaking.

Noor.
You're engaged.

Karim instantly pulled back and stepped back from her.

He shouldn't have done that. What was he thinking?