Chapter 11

"This is the hospital?" Tawfiq asked Karim by his side.
The hospital was located in a small town in Adelaide. A bit close to the airport so they had rented a car and ditched security since everything was still under wraps. Security always attracted attention.
They had parked the car and were looking around.

"Yes. It's t-the same name; Queen Victoria, and it looks familiar too." Karim nodded and all of a sudden, he felt his muscles go hard and his breathing, slow down.

What was happening to him?
Why wasn't he breathing?

Tawfiq got out of the driver's seat followed by Naima, who got down with Samia from the back seat.

Karim was still seated in the car. Unmoving.

"You coming?" Tawfiq arched a brow as he picked up Samia off her feet and fixed the cap he was wearing.

"Give m-me a second?"

Naima walked closer to the car.

"Are you okay?" She asked him.

Her gaze landed on Karim's hands resting on his lap.

They were shaking uncontrollably.

Naima frowned.

"Karim?" She opened the car door.

"I-I can't feel a-anything." Karim stuttered.

And he couldn't.

He felt like he was being suffocated in that very car and his lungs being squeezed. It felt like his heart wanted to give out in that moment. He tried to move his legs but he couldn't even feel them.
He felt numb.
But somehow his hands were still shaking.

He was running out of breath.

"Ma-ma? I can't. . . I can't b-brea-breathe." Karim forced out.

Naima snapped her head to Tawfiq who was looking at the hospital, unaware of what was happening.

"Tawfiq!" She shouted but not so loud to catch unnecessary attention.

He turned and his eyes widened.
He took quick steps to the car and handed Samia to Naima.

"Daddy?" She frowned.

"What's wrong?" Tawfiq asked Naima.

"I don't know. He just said he couldn't feel anything and he couldn't breathe as well." Naima said frantically.

"Put Samia in her car seat and get a doctor." Tawfiq ordered.

Naima stood there confused as Karim tried to take oxygen through his mouth but it wasn't working. She didn't know what to do. She was just stuck.

"Habiba. Now!" Tawfiq said more urgently.

Naima quickly placed Samia back into the car and basically run into the hospital.

"Karim. I need you to look at me." Tawfiq urged him and slowly Karim's gaze landed on his father.

"I need you to calm down. Try calming down."

Karim tried to get himself to be calm but he didn't know how.

"Daddy?" Samia's face fell in sadness.

"Karim,. . .breathe. Slowly. Deep breaths."

Tawfiq held unto Karim's shaking hands tightly.

"You need to breathe, Karim. You'll pass out. You're scaring your daughter. You have to breathe. For Samia."

Tawfiq had been in this situation before with Naima.

Karim was scared so scared of what could happen next that his body was reacting by having an attack.
Karim was a living and breathing trauma.
His life revolved around pain and more trauma.
Clearly he wasn't ready for any more pain so his mind was fighting against him to steer clear of anything that screamed more pain.