Chapter 30

"You know this is awkward, right?" Karim spoke quietly to Noor.

They had arrived at the amusement park and it was empty with just a few workers still manning their posts.
It wasn't a very big park and not many rides either. It looked old as well.

"Shhh! She'll hear you." Noor reprimanded.

"Like I care." Karim mumbled.

"Haven't we gotten to your stupid ride already. I'm tired." Zaira commented.

"You said she wouldn't interfere." Karim replied, directing his statement to Noor.

"Do you see me interfering? I'm like 6 feet away from you."

"Asking unnecessary questions is interfering. We will get there when we get there. You're only here to chaperone. Not give your thoughts."

"You're lucky I even decided to come along!" Zaira glared. "If I hadn't, you two wouldn't be here because y'all so prim and proper."

Karim cackled dryly.
"Prim and proper? It's called being Halal. Google it. You might find the knowledge useful." Karim shot daggers at her and she returned with the same intensity.

Zaira just watched the two of them banter back and forth.
She had a blank face.

After a few heartbreaking moments of glaring each other to death, Noor decided to step in.

"Children! Children!" She got their attention. "Karim, I didn't ask you to come along so you can argue with your ex-wife. Please do that in your spare time." Noor turned to Zaira. "I asked you to come along because we needed a chaperone. So unless you see us trying to sneak into some dark alley alone, your input will not be required."

"Then make sure he doesn't get in my way."

"Then she shouldn't get in my way."

Karim and Zaira said simultaneously.

They both groaned in annoyance.

This is why Karim said it was a bad idea. He shouldn't have agreed with Noor.

"Let's just go. Please." Noor insisted and walked ahead of Karim.

Karim breathed out and followed her diligently.

"Argh! I want to tear his brains out and kiss him so bad at the same time!" Zaira muttered to herself when she was sure Karim was out of hearing distance.

He was the perfect mixture of annoying and irresistible.

But she had to dwell on the annoying if she wanted her plan to work.

She combed her hair back and followed the couple.

~

"Are you sure this is safe?" Karim eyed the ride.

It wasn't that he was scared.
Quite the contrary. It was a slow ride and no plunging to death part but it looked rusty and old.

"It's safe. If it wasn't it wouldn't be here." Noor pointed out.

"There are millions of other rides here.  Why choose this boring one?" Zaira commented.

She had wanted her to choose a scary ride to get Karim to hold her hand or something just because he was scared.

But this ride looked like it took 10 hours to go through one lap.

It had a carriage like seat for four people. Two people on each side facing each other and the roof was covered.
It was slow but it went high to a certain extent.