𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕯𝖊𝖘𝖈𝖊𝖓𝖙

"I was born in 1450. That makes me 560 years old. So, I can die. I've lived long enough," Rose says sadly as Damon enters the room with a blood bag. 

Damon picks up a glass, "You know, if you're going to be maudlin, I'm just going to kill you myself. Just to put me out of your misery." He starts pouring the blood into the glass. I kick him in the shin, giving him a glare. What a polite thing to say to a dyeing person. He shrugs, "Come on, it's just a little werewolf bite." 

"Just a little fatal to a vampire werewolf bite," I correct him. 

"Well, according to legend, which is a notoriously unreliable source. . . drink up," Damon says, handing Rose the glass of blood. "Blood heals." Rose takes a sip, clearing her throat. 

"Yea. It does feel like it's working," she says. 

"Let's have a look. Come on," I say, waiting for her to turn around. 

"Let's see," Damon mumbles, pulling down her sleeve to show her back. By one glance, it looks 100 times worse. Damon and I give each other a nervous look. 

"How is it?" She asks. 

"Definitely. . . better," Damon lies as I lightly hit him for lying. I understand she's dying but there is no point in giving her false hope. Rose's shoulders deflate from Damon's lie. At least she knows he's lying. "Right, Elena?" Damon looks to where Elena is entering the living room. 

"Um. . . it's not bad," she agrees with Damon. 

"Where's Stefan?" Damon asks my sister. 

"He left," she answers. "I need you to talk to him. He's convinced that he needs to find Isobel. But I think that's going to upset Elijah." Damon pours Rose another glass of blood, handing it to her. 

"No can do. I'm with Stefan on this one. But if you could help your sister play nurse for a little while. . ." Damon sets down the blood bag, walking out to leave. He's going to leave me again? By myself? With my sister? Who knows what's gonna come out of her mouth next? I know for sure it's not an apology. 

"It's not necessary," Rose tells Elena, shaking her head. 

"Rose is right. I'll be fine by myself," I tell Elena. 

"It is necessary. Elena's a do-gooder. It's in her nature. She just can't resist," Damon says, fixing to walk out when I chase after him, grabbing his arm. 

"Wait. Where are you going? I want to go," I say as he turns to look at me. 

"I'm gonna ask ladywolf if she has a cure. I won't be long. Call me later, ok?" I nod as he quickly presses my lips to his and then gives me a final kiss to my cheek. 

"Bye," I mumble as I walk back to the living room. 

 * * * *

"I hate this," Rose says as she and I walk into Damon's bedroom. "I'm a vampire. I haven't had a cold in five centuries." She sits down on Damon's bed as I set down a glass of blood in case she needs it. 

"Just get in bed," I say, helping her take off her sweater. 

"We don't get sick. When we die, it's fast and sudden. And it's certainly not drawn out with an illness." She lays down as I help her pull the covers over her body. 

"You're not going to die," I tell her. Although, I don't know if I even believe my own words. 

"Such a human thing to say," she says. "You're lucky, you know. No one's ever loved me the way you're loved."