Chapter 1

Jesse's knee had not stopped bouncing since he and Lorelei boarded the plane. She put her hand on his leg to try and calm him. She assumed at first that he was nervous about flying, but when he did not react to the turbulence she knew that it was something more. He looked over at her when she leaned in close. The elderly man beside Lorelei was asleep with his mouth wide open. He was lightly snoring as drool trickled down his chin.

"What's the matter?" she asked.

"Nothing," he said.

"Jesse, don't lie to me."

He let out a deep breath and pinched the bridge of his nose. He was silent for a moment before he spoke. Lorelei chewed on her lip as she waited for him to speak.

"I haven't seen my Mom in a couple of years," he said.

"I'm sure she'll be happy to see you," Lorelei said.

"Last time I saw her we got into a big fight," he said. "I tried to get her to clean her place back then, and she refused. Now we're here."

Lorelei raised a brow. Jesse had been tip-toeing around the subject of his mother ever since he received a call from her. All Lorelei knew was that he had to help her with something. That something she was unaware of. She wanted to ask, but when she would bring it up in Toronto he would change the subject. He could not keep avoiding it for much longer.

"What are you helping your Mom with?" Lorelei asked.

"She needs help cleaning so that she does not get evicted. This always happens," he said. "Stay at the hotel when I go to her apartment."

Lorelei's chest tightened as she tried to breathe. Was Jesse ashamed to be her boyfriend? Was she being a burden for insisting she go with him to Vancouver?

"You don't want me to meet your Mom?" she asked.

"What?" Jesse shook his head. "No. That's not it."

"What is it then?"

"My Mom is a hoarder. She's always been one. She literally does not throw anything away."

"Oh.''

Lorelei was lost for words when she watched Jesse look away in embarrassment. It made sense to her as to why his apartment was always spotless. He must have been raised in absolute chaos. Was he uncomfortable in her messy apartment? Did her clothes on the floor and sink full of dishes remind him of his childhood?

"I don't want you to see it," Jesse said. "It's disgusting."

"It can't be that bad," Lorelei said. "You've seen the mess I live in."

"Last time I helped her clean her place I found a dead cat under all the crap."

Lorelei tried not to cringe, but she couldn't help it. She was relieved that Jesse was still staring out the window at the clouds and could not see her reaction. Once she stopped gritting her teeth, she curled her fingers into Jesse's knee. He looked back in her direction. He glanced at the woman leaving the bathroom and walking down the aisle. His lips twitched into a smile when he looked at Lorelei.

"Want to join the mile-high club?" he asked.

Lorelei's jaw dropped and she swung her hand to hit Jesse in the shoulder. He chuckled.

"No way," she said.

"Come on," he said. "It's on my bucket list."

"Then we'll do it on the flight back to Toronto."

Jesse leaned back in his seat and laughed.

"I'm holding you to that," he said with a wink.

Lorelei bit down on her lip to try and suppress a giggle. The heat rushed up to her cheeks when she thought about Jesse fucking her in the tiny bathroom. She could envision Jesse lifting her and thrusting into her. She could see herself scratching and clawing Jesse's back and biting his neck to try and hold back her moans.

Jesse saw her blush and placed his hand on the top of her thigh. He leaned in and kissed her cheek, letting his lips linger on her skin. Lorelei held onto her breath. Jesse still made her heart flutter. He had ever since she met him in person that one morning at Roasters.

Jesse tilted his head so that his nose brushed across her cheek. He brought his lips to her ear and whispered so that only she could hear.

"I can't wait to fuck you when we get to the hotel," he said. Lorelei giggled and tried to push away Jesse, but he did not move. "Be quiet. You don't want to wake up Sleeping Beauty beside you."

Lorelei looked over at the elderly man in the next seat. Jesse leaned in and kissed her exposed neck. Her thighs clenched and tightened around Jesse's hand. He let out a soft groan.

Her eyes went wide when she saw the flight attendant, who was walking down the aisle, glare at them. She put her hand on Jesse's hard chest and he pulled away. He noticed the flight attendant's snooty attitude.

"She's just jealous," he said.

Lorelei rolled her eyes.

They spent the rest of the flight in silence. Lorelei had her headphones on and played her favourite ABBA playlist. Jesse had a Stephen King novel that he had taken from Lorelei's apartment. He barely flipped the pages, and Lorelei could tell he had too much on his mind to try and concentrate and read.

When the plane landed, Jesse kept his hand possessively on Lorelei's waist as they exited. Lorelei was looking up at the large airport in awe and relied on Jesse to navigate them to baggage claim. He pulled their bags off the carousel and showed her to the taxis. Jesse tossed their bags into the trunk before giving the driver the name of the hotel.

They sat in the backseat. Before Lorelei could do her seatbelt, Jesse pulled her across the street so that she was sitting in the middle next to him. He put his arm around Lorelei's shoulders and his knees returned to bouncing.