Gretchen watched Higgs at the table as Elizabeth seemed to practically inhale her meal. Once it was empty, Gretchen refilled her lady's plate as Elizabeth drank some wine and then gave out an unladylike burp. She covered her mouth in embarrassment.

"Excuse me!"

No one said anything and she went back to eating as Higgs moved a pea around the plate, every once in a while cutting a piece of meat. Now that the mushrooms Elizabeth had been putting in Gretchen's meals were finally out of her system, she could see the full spectrum of damage that her lady had inflicted on herself as well as Mr. Higgs. Higgs was barely there mentally, answering everything with a vague monotone answer or with no answer at all. He was scarred, skinny, and had one arm in a sling.

"What happened to your arm?" she asked him.

Higgs looked up at her with dead gray eyes as Elizabeth drank some more wine.

"He got a little pesky and so I had to punish him. I accidentally dislocated his shoulder in the process."

"And his eye?"

"The same. Are you going to just ask silly questions all night?"

"No offense, my lady, but I haven't exactly been in my right mind for a while so everything is a bit... shocking."

"Understandable, I guess. Do I need to bring you up to speed?"

"Sure..."

"I captured Higgs and he's been trying to get away, but I think he finally realizes where he belongs, right Mr. Higgs?"

"Yes."

"And your um..." she said, her eyes flicking to Elizabeth's stomach.

"Oh. Well, he finally gave me what he promised."

"Just like that?"

"It was a bit of a struggle but the deed is done-" Elizabeth stopped eating and it looked like the blood ran from her face. "Excuse me for a moment."

She ran from the room as Gretchen looked at Higgs. She got up and sat next to him.

"Let's go."

"What?" he said, not really caring.

"I said let's go."

"I can't."

"The hell you can. The door is right there."

"What does it matter? No one's coming."

"That's a lie and you know it."

"It's been months and how can I even trust you?" he said, looking at her.

"I'm a victim too. She was messing with my food and making me do things I couldn't control. Do you honestly believe I would have let her do what she's done if I had the ability to stop her?"

Higgs didn't really care and Gretchen could see his eyes were devoid of emotion. She sighed.

"Whatever I did to didn't do while I was out of my head, I'm sorry. I truly am."

"Doesn't matter now."

"I guess not if you've gone and given up... but that doesn't mean I will."

"She'll figure it out. She's always one step ahead somehow."

"Then I'll just have to be two steps ahead. I'm going to get you home, Mr. Higgs."

"I am home... Elizabeth said so. Elizabeth is always right."

Gretchen pursed her lips but heard the door open again and rushed to the other side of the table. Higgs looked back at his food and finally stabbed the pea he had been rolling around on his plate. Elizabeth came back and sat.