"And then she told me this joke and we laughed and laughed. It was something that I haven't been able to do for a long time with someone else..." Higgs said, leaning on his hand in the kitchen after the party that night.

Merida smiled as she washed a dish that had pie remnants on it. Higgs was upset that because he was talking all the cake was eaten so Merida told him that there was some pie left over. Higgs' tails all seemed to come out at the same time and hovered, gleefully. Edgar made a face as he poked at his half eaten pie slice.

"Weel, I'm glad ye had fun. Will ye be seeing Lady Hinkley anytime soon?"

"Within the next day or so, I think."

"Does she know about your transformations?" Edgar asked, looking up at Higgs.

"Of course she does; she was there when her ex-fiance tried to skewer me."

"Doesn't that bother you?"

"What?"

"That because of her, her fiancé tried to rip you open like a fish?"

"Edgar." Merida chastised.

"Well it was no fault of Elizabeth's. Lord Clarvins was drunk and he shouldn't have even been at the party. Besides, if he was so possessive of Elizabeth, he should have never let her wander around."

Edgar rolled his eyes as Higgs made a face at him.

"What's gotten into you?"

"He's mad because ye didnae get with me."

"Ma!" Edgar yelled, looking at her in anger and horror.

"Get with you?" Higgs asked.

"The lad's had a fantasy that ye and I would be together and he's mad that we havenae."

"You too, Edgar?"

"Well it makes perfect sense!" Edgar growled, getting up. "Merida does everything for you and would do anything for you and yet you go for the stupid lady whose fiancé tried to murder you. Merida is everything that you could ever want or need. She's not afraid of you, would even bear a cursed child for you, and so much more! She's been there every step of the way and you just move her aside like a curtain on a window. Errrr!"

He stomped away and Higgs looked at Merida, an ear flicking.

"Merida, why is it that people keep strongly believing that we should be together when we've made it perfectly clear that we just want a platonic relationship? Is there something I'm missing?"

"Ye arenae the brightest at times, Higgs." She said, grabbing Edgar's plate. "Yer blind to what ye shouldnae probably because ye couldnae possibly believe it's true."

"You're hiding something from me." Higgs said, suddenly upon her. She almost dropped the plate but he caught it and set it on the counter behind her. "You are not being completely honest with me, Scot. Why? Is there something you feel I can't handle?"

"This, right here, is why people believe we should be together. Ye come up on me like a man to his lass, ye end up in bed with me half the time, and ye treat me more than just a servant. Ye are sending out mixed signals to everyone. Edgar was a wee laddie when he came here and it's no surprising that he would get the wrong idea at that age."

Higgs moved off of her and she sighed. "I didn't realize it was bothering you."

"Isnae bothering me, it's telling people the wrong thing. An ye dinnae want to be with me, then ye shouldnae do things that seem like ye do."

"Tell me right now: Merida Dunbrough, do you want to be with me?"

Merida's eyes widened as Higgs stared at her with a serious expression.