Edgar ran inside the house, practically jumping into Merida's outstretched arms and they tumbled to the ground. He was shaking and Merida made him look up at her.

"Ye alright, lad?"

"No!" he practically screeched in her face.

She laughed. "Aye, ye got yerself a tagalong I see."

"He was gonna kill me!"

"Aye, that be true. Marlow, take Edgar to the kitchen, will ye?"

"What are you going to do? Don't tell me you're going out there!"

"Edgar, quit yer bleetin, lad. Cú-síth are fairies and all fair folk have the same weaknesses." She walked over to the fireplace and grabbed the fire poker from the stand. "Sorry, Laird Kans, this will hurt muckle bad."

**************************

Kans came at Higgs, biting into one of his tails. Higgs howled in pain and tried to get his uncle off of him, but Kans was abnormally strong for his small size. Then again, he was also a harbinger of death and anything in that category ended up being almost five times stronger than usually and definitely much stronger than Higgs at the moment. After fighting for a bit, Higgs was finally able to get his uncle off of him, flinging him across the hill and over the side of it. While it was taking Kans a bit to get back up, Higgs started to shrink down, his kitsune form unable to hold any longer. It was only recently that he could turn into the full nine-tailed fox, so his stamina was low. Kans jumped back over the hill and headed towards Higgs. Higgs stood up, in his human form, and held out his hand.

"Foxfire!" he yelled as a stream of green flame erupted from his palm and hit Kans square in the face.

The cú-síth walked right through it like he was walking through thick fog. Higgs breathed in, knowing his time was imminent. Kans snarled at his nephew and Higgs closed his eyes, gathering all of his strength to try and transform one last time. As Kans jumped into the air, Higgs closed his eyes harder, getting ready for impact when there was a loud thud and a shrill whimper that echoed the night. Higgs opened his eyes and found Merida holding the fire poker in both hands, looking like she was coming out of a backswing.

"Merida..."

"Who said that golf was only for men? I wanna see ye come off the backswing like that, Fearghas!" she yelled into the night.

"What the hell?!" Higgs screamed, standing back up. "What the hell are you doing out here?"

"I may not be a Northumberly but I ken a bit about the Fae-folk. Ye're getting weak, milaird."

"What's that-"

"Physically, ye nunce. Ye almost got yer head taken slam off an I hadnae come to yer aid. Ye're tired and I'm here to help ye. Asides, looks like ye green flame doesnae make him afeart nor does it do ye any good. I ken a bit about the Fae to know that raw iron will work like a charm. May not hold him down complete until sunrise, but by god he'll be bruised to hell and have a rash for days."

"A rash?"

Merida held up a small satchel hanging around a belt that Higgs hadn't notice. "Salt."

Higgs laughed, amazed at this brilliant and fearless woman who came out to fight one of the strongest cú-síth creatures with an iron poker and a sack of salt. Just then, Kans leapt back over the hill and started circling them.

Higgs sighed. "Give me time to try and transform one more time. Don't yourself hurt in the process."

"Aye, milaird."