Higgs stopped in a room behind the stairwell and looked at Merida.

"What do you mean I discussed the failsafe with you?"

"Why is it a big deal?"

"I told you that I didn't want you to feel obligated-"

"And I told ye that I dinnae feel obligated to do anything that I do for ye. I do it because I want to."

"So... what did you say then? When did we even discuss this?"

"Oh, I'd say about a year after Edgar left for schooling. Ye were drunk off wine and ye were a centaur. I had to walk ye home, or rather, steer ye home. Ye were muckle pissed."

"And... what did I say?"

"Really now, Higgs, ye expect me to remember a conversation from two years go in full detail?"

"Not in full detail, just the highlights."

Merida sighed. "Weel, an I recall, ye threw yer head back and did an awful impression of a hippo and said something to the effect of 'I feel sorry for my son'. I asked what ye were haivering on about and ye said that the curse was getting close to the failsafe, so I asked ye what that meant. Ye explained it and then leaned back on me and said, 'Would ye be angry if I did that? An I went and tromped with a lady to fulfill the urges of the curse?' So I said that I would rather ye not leave a poor bairn to a fate he would never ken... so I said that an ye dinnae have a lass by the time those urges came about, I'd rather ye get with me instead. Ye ken I'd love it no matter what and ye should be about for the child..."

"I'm so sorry, Merida." He said, putting his face in his hands.

"Why?"

"For making you do this."

"Ye nay making me do a thing. I chose to volunteer myself for it. No one is forcing me. I care about ye dearly, but I care more about a wee bairn that willnae have a say in the matter of its existence. An ye have to do it, then I'd be glad to volunteer my body to harbor him than ye to poke about with a whore."

Higgs seemed uneasy and Merida put her hands on his shoulders.

"Oi, ye stop that now. I promise this is of my own want. Ye not worry about the future for now. Who knows? By the time ye get those urges, ye will probably have a lass at yer arm willing and waiting to help ye."

"Maybe so... You know... Never mind."

"What is it?"

"Nothing... Thank you for being there, even in the future."

"Of course."

He left and Merida smiled sadly to the darkness.

"Of course..." she repeated sadly.

******************************************

The next day, Higgs and Kans greeted each other and swiftly pulled back from one another with looks of disgust.

"You stink." They both said.

Catherine smiled as little as Merida rolled her eyes.

"I hope breakfast is starting soon, I'm famished." Kans said, rubbing his stomach from under a blanket.

"Aye, we have it started for ye."

"Is everyone here at the mansion? I have an announcement to make to everyone."

"I'll have to pull Edgar out of bed, but I'm sure Uncle Rad will be more cooperative. Do I need to ask Father and Mother to come up here?"

"No, I'll tell them later. By the way, when is Frou Frou getting married again?"