Merida squared her shoulders, ready for a fight.

"Ye come back to do anymore hard to my employer-"

"I actually came to see you."

"Me?"

"Yes."

"Ye really have gone as daft as they say..."

"Because I want to speak with you?"

"After our last encounter, ye must be an ye ken I want to look at ye."

"I'm aware that this is quite sudden but I assure you that my mind is perfectly clear and I'm not here to make trouble. Please, sit."

Merida didn't trust Patrick with a ten foot pole but she needed to know why he was back after all this time.

"I was told by the other maid that Lord Northumberly was indisposed at the moment?"

"Aye, at the moment."

"That means that it would be you that I would be speaking to next anyway. You are technically the lady of the house, right?"

"I am a lady who lives in the house... So, what brings ye by?"

"A lot of things but three major ones. The first is that I would like to ask that Lord Northumberly stop pursuing Lady Hinkley."

"I was told she broke of her engagement with ye. That means she is fair game."

"You are correct, she did, but this has nothing to do with that." He pulled out a small stack of letters. "It actually goes into my second request. I have here some letters that Lady Elizabeth has sent me within the past few years up until recent. I would like for you to read them... thoroughly."

"Why would I want to read her silly letters?"

"I honestly can't say why myself, but I grew up with Lady Elizabeth, and I know her well. Even though we are not engaged anymore, that did not necessarily null our friendship. She has kept in contact with me since the um... incident. I have put some letters she wrote to me while we were engaged and then some recent ones. The recent ones are the ones that I'm concerned about. When I read these letters... something just doesn't feel right."

"Why do you care what I think about them?"

"I can't give them to Lord Northumberly because he will only think that I'm making things up. He trusts you and you are much more perceptive than you like to let on. Once you've read them, please come by my main estate. I'm back here for the winter so I'll be here for a few months."

"I see..."

"The last thing I wanted to speak with you about is that boy."

"What boy?"

"The one I had while you were detain with me."

"Ye mean Edgar?"

"Ah, that's what you named him... I see... Well, unfortunately, he is mine."

"What are ye going on about? He's yers? As in... yer son?"

"No, he's in mine as in I bought him and you stole him from me."

"I'll beg yer pardon?" she growled, standing up.

"I purchased him from an orphanage, so by all rights, he's mine. I have documentation to prove it." He said, holding out some documents.

Merida snatched the parchment from him and read over it, finding a bound and legal contract that proved what he said was true. Merida wanted to vomit as she put her hand over her stomach, sitting back down.