Edgar knocked on Merida's door but she didn't answer. He opened it and found her sheets were not even turned now from last night. He made a face when he heard another door open a few doors down. He turned and found Merida coming out of the room in her shift with her dress hanging over her arm and her hair disheveled. She turned to go down the hall but found Edgar looking at her.

"Hello." She said. Edgar gave a confused wave. "Ye're up early..."

"So are you." He said, looking her up and down.

They stared at each other for a moment and then Merida cleared her throat.

"Weel then, I best be getting back..."

As she tried to skirt past Edgar, he grabbed her arm and pushed them both into her room, shutting the door behind him. He whirled around to her.

"Talk."

"Edgar."

"Merida! What have you done?!"

"Grown up things."

"I'm not that stupid, Merida. How could you do that?"

"There was a lot of sweet talk and the like..."

"How are you going to explain?"

"Explain what? He willnae remember what happened last night."

"How could you be so stupid?! It's been raging about all month! Now that you've had sex with him you're going to be pregnant!"

Merida slapped her hand over his mouth. "Why dinnae ye shout it to the neighbors, eh?" she hissed angrily. He only glared and she let him go. "I ken what I'm doing, lad."

"Do you? Because it kind of looks like you're just going with whatever happens with wanton abandon. I mean, a baby isn't something you can just hide."

"I have my reasons, Edgar. Dinnae act like I'm a sniveling teen who hasnae a way with the world."

"I just want to understand what's going on. Help me understand... I just... I want to be there if things go south and I want to help. I know you get it but I just... I don't get why you would just do that. Babies aren't easy and you run the risk of it being like Mr. Higgs, so why would you give in?"

"Laird, boy, ye act like ye're my father. And I didnae 'give in', I took an opportunity as it presented itself. Ye well ken that the curse chose me anyway, but this really has nothing to do with that. There are only two people this was done for."

"You and yourself?"

"I have a mind to backhand ye for yer smart remarks. Ye best find yer place, lad." Edgar crossed his arms and pouted. "Elizabeth and the bairn."

"What does Lady Hinkley have to do with this? Were you so jealous that she was taking your place?"

"Not at all. I could give two shits about that woman. Although the satisfaction of getting to him first is a highlight, that's not what I mean. My suspicions have been screaming at me ever since she's been coming around here. It's so strong and strange that I would gladly put my body on the line in order to keep a bairn from her."

"A bairn?"

"A child, boy. All I have been thinking about since Higgs said he wanted to try and be with Elizabeth was that whatever my suspicion was would hurt the bairn. She doesnae deserve to have his child... not the way that it will turn out. It irks me to no end that I cannae figure out what her angle is but I wouldn't let a child near her just to watch it for two seconds. I would hate myself an I kenned I'd let a child be with her and my suspicions are right."