Gum

As she walked into class the teacher came up to her.

"Anne Howard, did you forget your book in your locker?" The teacher said in his usual snarky voice.

"No Mr, I forgot it at home." Anne quietly said.

"Ugh, whatever just go ahead and share it with Julie I'm sure she won't mind. You better bring it to the next class because we have an important test!"

"Yes Mr. Ortiz sorry"

Perfect. This was just her day. Julie was Hunter's girlfriend. They hadn't communicated before apart from the usual pencil asking and casual good mornings. Anne didn't want to be friends with Julie; she had figured that if she was dating such a horrible person like Hunter then she was most definitely horrible too.

As she sat down Julie was already there. Anne waited a second before speaking.

"Hey, do you mind if we share your book? I forgot mine at home."

"Yeah sure." Julie places the book in between them just enough for the both of them to see the text.

"Thank you."

Julie smiles at Anne in response.

As the class goes on Anne pulls out a pack of gum. She figured she'd offer her some gum to thank her. She takes out a piece and taps her shoulder.

"Hey, you want some?" Anne says as she shows her the stick of gum.

Julie seems to be taken back for a second before accepting and taking the gum. When she puts it in her mouth Julie starts giggling to herself. And couldn't help but ask.

"Why are you laughing?"

"It's fruit-flavored," Julie said smiling

"Well yeah, it's the kind that I like," Anne responded in confusion.

"I think it's just funny. I was expecting it to be mint, that's what people usually get." Julie said as she laid her head on the table.

"I guess that's right but I like fruit flavor, mint is good too I guess but sometimes it's too strong and it burns my mouth. Fruit is my safe option." Anne said as she took a stick of gum for herself.

"Really? I kinda like the burn, it makes me feel alive!" Julie said as she put a fist up in the air.

They both started to giggle when suddenly the teacher yelled.

"You two in the back, be quiet and do your work!"

"Sorry!" They both said simultaneously.

And they go back to their work Julie looks over at Anne and gives her a gentle smile. Anne smiles back at her and then quietly looks at her paper.

Maybe just maybe Julie wasn't as bad as she thought.

As class ended and everyone was getting ready to leave, Anne heard Julie's soft voice.

"Goodbye! Thanks for the gum!"

Anne gave a quick wave before heading to her next class.