21st: Who's To Blame

THE FIRST THING that came to mind when my gaze landed on Danica was our last interaction with each other. Sigurado ako noong huling beses na nagkita kami ay halos siya na ang pamorma sa apo ng dating may-ari ng grill na halos kasabay na inabot ng taon ang paglago-the same as the years that had molded our friendship. Inakala kong matatawag kong for lifetime.

It was a hoax.

As she was taking a step forward she raised her head and suddenly froze. Her hands were still clinging to Rhyl's shoulder.

"I didn't know you two could be a good pair," I mumbled.

Nagtagis ang mga ngipin ko pero hindi ko ipinahalata ang namumuong galit.

Binalingan ko si Rhyl. He was adamant, arrogance manifested into a grin on his lips now turning dark because of too much consumption of cigarrites.

"What brought you here, Lienna?"

The mere introduction of his question made my blood boil, and my gaze even turned sharper as I tried to keep my composure in front of him and my secretive friend.

Danica remained quiet.

Siguro ay hindi halata sa mukha ko ang pagkabigla dahil nagawa ko pang ngumiti sa kanilang dalawa at taas-noong kausapin si Rhyl kahit pa gustong-gusto ko na siyang sumbatan sa harapan ngayon.

"You were still into illegal transactions from the black market? And you bought a gun. For what purpose, Rhyl? Do you aspire to trouble someone else again after clinging so much to alcohol when you don't wanna deal with the shits going on in your life? Oh shit, you just did."

I saw him pause.

Tumaas ang mga kilay ko. Pero sa loob-loob ay kinakastigo ang sarili kung bakit hinayaan ko pa ang sariling magtiwala sa kanya-this was basically the reason why I don't cry in front of others. Over time, you'd get comfortable in showing your vulnerabilities to them. And shits come running just as they start to manipulate you into doing what they request you to out of guilt and care with the thought that they once offered you company and love.

Ang daling magpaloko sa taong minahal mo na noon at minahal ka rin pabalik.

Kita ko sa mga mata niya ang unti-unting pagbabago ng ekspresyon. Humarap siya sa akin at si Danica ay naguguluhang tumingin sa akin. Her reaction was the same as the way I took in the situation when I opened up the parcel Rhyl had asked me to get and found out that a gun was inside.

Rhyl took a step near me. "They delivered a gun?"

Umatras ako. Ayaw man lang tumayo nang malapitan sa kanya. "What? Like you didn't know it firsthand? Liar."

I feel nothing for him but disgust, disappointment, and anger.

I knew he was struggling. But just because I once had been part of his life and things didn't turn out well for us, he'd drag me onto mischief. No. That won't ever be fair.

"I loved you. I thought you did the same. I may have left you. But it was never my intention to drag you onto several years of misery. I thought I could still be with you, Rhyl. But we have grown into different people.

"You-you can't allow yourself to be like this. I am no way better than you, I must say. But at least I don't wanna involve other people with my own negligence and illegal doings. I acknowledge that I have hurt you years ago. I was hurting too. But I don't intentionally set up people to suffer in situations that I, myself, should take responsibility for. Now, my friend's detained inside a jail because of what you asked me to do!"

"Lienna, can I explain?" he said, his last words shook as he attempted to grab my wrist but I immediately backed swiftly.

"I won't listen to you anymore. You already missed your chance."