Chapter 52: Sitting alone in a bed

---------Wally's POV:-----------

Percy's funeral was tomorrow, and yet Wally couldn't help but want to be anywhere else.

He sat awake, his eyes blurry from the tears that never really had stopped flowing, making it hard to do any daily task so he'd mainly stayed home, sitting in his bed in the pitch black room, staring forwards at the one shred of light painted across his wall.

They'd kicked Percy out of the apartment, and with no one else to take her stuff Wally glady brought everything into his room where he packaged it into nice boxes and shoved it into a closet. He didn't want to see her stuff, his existence was enough of a reminder of her demise.

No one in the city knew, no one but the team. She'd be a hero lost to the sake of time, to be used up as a tool to save people who really didn't care about the well being of the people protecting them.

Wally blinked, another round of warmth cascading down his cheeks as he didn't bother wiping them, feeling them fall off his chin before hitting his chest with a small plop, soaking two spots on his shirts repeatedly, and yet he couldn't move. Rather he didn't have enough motivation to do so.

Dick had been calling him endlessly, calling and calling and yet Wally didn't pick up. He'd heard what had happened briefly from a text from Leo, the only message he'd looked at before dropping everything all together. He turned off his notifications as well, the photo of Percy and him being frankly too painful to look at.

He felt bad ignoring Dick, sure, but a small hint of resentment was there. Why did no one do anything, stop her from grabbing the bomb, get Batman out of there.

They were useless arguments, nothing could've been changed that night, not now at least.

Wally just didn't want to admit that he blamed himself, if he had tried harder to convince her, ran faster to disarm the bombs, if he'd just stayed to begin with then maybe none of this would've come into fruition, maybe she'd be here sitting besides him.

Instead he was alone, cold underneath warm blankets, and crying to himself as he desperately tried to push his eyes asleep, the warmth of the tears waking him each time.

He avoided looking at her jewelry on the side of the bed. The necklace she'd worn and her ring sat there, their luster gone and instead dull in the darkness.

His heart beat heavily in his chest, pounding on his chest as he kept in his desire to scream and yell at the gods, to yell that they were the ones behind this. If Aphrodite hadn't handed over the artifact, if one of them interviend, hell, if one of them had been there to talk her out of this whole stupid gig.

Once again his anger dribbled back to himself. Why hadn't he convinced her, why hadn't he intervened?

He placed his hands that were previously holding his covers up to his eyes, wiping lightly to remove the liquid from his vision. 

He had been the one to tell her mother. To watch as the small bit of hope she'd had was snuffed out and disposed of like a dirty towel. She'd invited him in, asked him to sit and eat with them, but rather than the warmth and happiness they'd felt earlier it was dull and sad. They never said anything to Estelle though, Wally didn't think he could hold it in if they'd told her, it was already heartbreaking enough to hear her mother sniffle a few seats away.

God that sound was enough to make any one break out into a sob. 

Wally blinked and once again another torrent of tears rolled down his cheeks, he felt helpless. 

Slowly he laid back down, pulling the covers over tight as he stared off to the side. He knew he was gonna look rough tomorrow, his eyes would look like he'd been punched but he didn't care. As far as he was concerned he was owed at least this much. 

He continued to think, slow tears rolling down his face until the stinging became too much and his heavy eyes shut, the lonely darkness consuming him. 

----------------------

I've only got 4 more tests for school then I can update regularly, thank you for hanging in there! -R

737 words