xxxvii. lost in space and time

" Drowning in the sea of stars

Lost in a galaxy of cocktail bars

Blinded by the neon lights

I lie awake and say your name into the night "

--CHAPTER THIRTY-SEVEN--

January 8, 1980

Tuesday

St. Mungos

6:45 pm

Remus wondered how many times he would end up at St. Mungos. He detested the place. It smelled of overly sterilized equipment as well as had healers and nurses alike running around the place playing god. He uncomfortably sat in the visitor's room of the private wing of the hospital. Dumbledore had managed to get this wing completely closed off for one of the most important members of the order, as well as her best friend and his boyfriend.

Remus swished the half cup of coffee in his hand while he played with the fringes of his cardigan with the other. It had been a full moon the night before. The hazel-eyed boy was now littered with fresh scars that were bright red in comparison to the others on his body. The bags under his eyes was something to be impressed by but the people that surrounded him did not even look twice, already knowing what had happened, and decided to get the boy a chair and a cup of his favorite remedy.

It has been two weeks since they were told that Evan and Arabella had come back from a mission in poor shape. And by poor shape, Dumbledore meant that they were both unconscious with no way to help either of them. They were told that Evan and Arabella had to both woke up of their own will and that there wasn't a spell or potion that could fix it.

Remus, being told the news right after he had his morning breakfast, had promptly pushed everyone out of the way to empty the contents of his stomach into the bathroom toilet. He couldn't believe what he had just been told. That his boyfriend and his best friend were both almost killed and that they lay catatonic on the pale small beds of St. Mungos.

He was relieved to know that they had not actually died, but waiting for them to wake up or make any movements felt like he was dying himself.

Two weeks.

That's how long they had all been gathered on the uncomfortable chairs of the hospital visiting room. They had all come and gone. Taking turns sleeping in the make shift beds that the nurses provided. People still had jobs to attend to and families to take care of. But Remus didn't have much. It was just his father at home and he had decided that the muggle classes he was taking were only for one term, so he was done. He had nothing else to look after. He was the one that had spent the most time at the hospital, finding that he found comfort to be around the people that he loved, being of use, rather than sulking around at home or at Sirius's flat.