xxxviii. bad blood

" But forgive me, for I am not acting myself

But these bees in my breath have to come out

Well, you give me no reason to doubt your word

But I still somehow still have my reasons

And I'm sorry I don't mean to scare you at all

I'm just trying to drain all this bad blood "

--CHAPTER THIRTY- EIGHT--

January 25, 1980

Friday

St. Mungos

9:45 pm

Arabella wanted out.

She did not want to be anyone's savior or anything close to that. All Arabella wanted was to win the second wizarding war with the friends she grew up with, the same ones she had given up her whole childhood to protect.

Arabella didn't know how she got there, but Harry stood before her. He wasn't all dirty with blood and mud like the last time she saw him. He was wearing his regular jeans and t-shirt, but he looked clean. Refreshed. Arabella squeezed her eyes shut, not knowing whether she was dreaming or somehow the universe had brought her back to her best friend.

"Hey, you can stop doing that. I'm real, I promise," the boy that looked like Harry said.

Arabella shook her head, rejecting what he had said, "No, you're not. My best friend isn't here, not in this timeline, at least."

"Well, the subconscious mind can be such a powerful thing." Harry took careful steps toward her and gently took her hand in his. "I promise this is real."

Arabella creaked open one eye, "How real?"

Harry shrugged, "As real as you want it to be."

Arabella finally opened her eyes to see bright green ones staring back at her. Oh, how she missed those eyes. The ones that always comforted her during the worst moments of her life; even when his life was falling apart, he was there for her, for everyone.

"Harry, what are you going here?" she asked as she held his hand tight, like a lifeline.

Harry broke eye contact for a few seconds, taking in the scenery. Arabella took a moment to do the same. She hadn't even noticed that they were back in her old bedroom, where they spent hours talking nonsense, only for Sebastian to burst into the room and join them.