xxxi. from the dining table

" We haven't spoke since you went away

Comfortable silence is so overrated

Why won't you ever be the first one to break?

Even my phone misses your call, by the way. "

--CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE--

September 29, 1979

Saturday

4:30 pm

"Evan, come on, we are going to be late!" Arabella shouted from her room. It was the day of Lily and James' wedding, and she was absolutely stressed about it. She hadn't properly seen her friends, if she could still call them that, in months. And now, she was being thrown off the deep end with the party.

Arabella was currently running around her room trying to find her other heel that had mysteriously disappeared the night before. She opted for an emerald green strappy green dress. It was now starting to get cold in England, so she paired a black cardigan with it. It was all very simple and plain, though it did involve her favorite color, so it was a very fitting outfit for Arabella.

Finally, having found her black heels, Arabella made her way out of the bedroom to meet Evan halfway. He was wearing black slacks and a black button-up shirt to match. He even had a black wizard's robe tucked under his arm.

"Don't you look dashing," Arabella commented as she went to fix the collar of his shirt.

"I always look dashing," Evan scoffed.

Arabella hummed, "Are you sure it is not because you are going to see a certain nerdy-looking wizard at the wedding?"

"Remus is not nerdy-looking," Evan muttered. "He doesn't even know I'm coming."

Arabella gave him a bewildered look, "Are you serious right now? You didn't tell him you were going? I thought he'd be the first to know."

Evan merely shrugged, "He stopped writing a few weeks ago. I think I put him off?"

"What do you mean?"

"Well, last time I saw him, I sorta kinda told him that I liked him in more of a boyfriend kinda way. He got really quiet after that. It was a bit awkward, and then he rushed home, claiming that he needed to do the dishes. I haven't talked to him since."

"Oh gods, Remus is such an idiot," she said as she rubbed her temples in exasperation. "Don't worry; I don't think you put him off, more of him being scared about a relationship. You know how insecure he is about that stuff."