xxxiv. melt

" Melt my happiness, some kind of fucked up mess

Looking out for you is a kind of waiting game that leaves me

Running circles into my brain

Hell, my loneliness will take no part in this. "

--CHAPTER THIRTY-FOUR--

November 13, 1979

flashback

The walk back to the headmaster's office was quite the ride. Thankfully there were no students around, seeing that it was way past curfew. Hauling Peter's large body was enough to effectively exhaust Arabella, and with the information that she had just learned, she wanted nothing more than to drop him on the hard cobblestone floor and run. However, she managed to keep her cool, calm mask on. Arabella had wondered what her friends would think about this whole situation. Would they believe her? Or would she just be blacklisted as she feared?

It was a whirlwind of emotion when she did make it back to the office. Dumbledore did not look surprised, but everyone else in the room did. She had trusted that they were done watching the missing pieces of her memories with Dumbledore and no doubt had about a billion questions burning at the tip of their tongue, but they managed to keep them to themselves. They watched as Arabella sadly levitated Peter's unconscious body into the room and laid him on the floor.

Sirius was the first one to get up and walk over to Peter. He was dead silent walking over without sparing her a single glace. He crouched himself in front of Peter and rolled up his left sleeve, and that was when he found that his best friend wasn't anything to him anymore. Sirius quickly dropped Peter's arm and walked out of the room without saying goodbye. Arabella couldn't blame him; she would have done the same thing if she was in his position. Lily, James, and Remus all did the same thing though they did say that they wanted to talk to Arabella later about everything. Arabella couldn't say anything, so she just grabbed onto their hands and watched as they left the room.

Regulus was worst off. He was beating himself up for not knowing this crucial piece of information. He was a spy; after all, it was his job to report everything back to the side of the light. Though he never knew that Peter was involved with the death eaters. He had never imagined it, and he wondered how he was kept secret for such a long time. Evan tried his best to comfort his best friend, but once Regulus was on something, it would be hard to convince him otherwise.

That night Evan, Regulus, Dumbledore, and Arabella sat in the couches of the office trying to figure out what their next steps would be. They eventually decided that they would act as if nothing was wrong. They didn't want to alarm Peter and let him know that they knew who he was and who he was serving. Dumbledore told the others to do the same, even though it would be hard. They would keep Peter on a need-to-know basis. Feed him false information, so whatever was really happening within the order wouldn't get back to the Dark Lord. This was all hoping that everything went according to plan. Later on, Arabella and Evan dropped an unconscious Peter at his London flat with false memories of a long night of drinking with his friends.