𝐅𝐎𝐑𝐓𝐘 𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐄, sunken souls

WARNING: period-typical misogyny, slavery, abuse towards slaves, dehuminization of slaves, and the drowning of newborn babies

A HAND REACHED IN AND yanked her out from the water, leaving the girl gasping for air.

"Shisui!" A familiar man's voice scolded her as he lifted her high up into the air until they were face-to-face. "How many times have we told you to leave the koi fish alone?"

It was Ryujn. The eldest of the Uchiumi siblings and the next head of the Clan—which was a lot of responsibility and pressure for a seventeen year old. Similarly to his sister, he had silky long blue hair and piercing blue eyes. Under his right eye rested a beauty mark.

Seven year old Shisui hung from her brother's grasp by the back of her kimono. "But I wanna play with the fish!" She protested, kicking her legs out angrily.

"Yes, well, the fish do not wish to play with you," he told her sternly.

She crossed her arms, pouting stubbornly. "That's not true! Spot-chan likes playing with me!"

"Spot-chan?" He echoed flatly. "You named one of our fish 'spot'? Urgh... Shisui, no more jumping into the koi pond. I mean it. It's very hard to maintain already."

And without another word, the blue-haired man carefully set her back down on the ground. With a swish of his fingers, the water drenching her body was sucked out and plopped back into the pond. She was now fully dry.

"Who else am I gonna play with," Shisui grumbled under her breath, arms still crossed to show how upset she was.

"You can play with Itotaki," he supplied, referring to one of their half-sisters. Itotaki was the second youngest member of the Uchiumi Clan, only being a few months older than Shisui.

She shook her head. "I can't. Father gave her more etiquette lessons because she doesn't know how to brew tea correctly!"

"Perhaps, Aomi?" Their full-blooded sister who was only two years older than Shisui.

"Writing lessons."

"Kohasu?" Another half-sibling.

"She never wants to play!"

Ryujin sighed in defeat. "Why don't you just go inside and read then?"

"Noooo!" She whined. "I always stay inside! I wanna go out!"

He tensed up. "That's not allowed, and you know that."

"But why?"

"Because you are a girl. Father decreed that no daughter of his was allowed to leave the estate. We cannot go against that."

She stared up at him, the stubborn glint in her dark blue eyes never fading away. With a huff, she whined some more, "But I wanna go outside and play with you and our brothers and father!"