𝐒𝐈𝐗𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍, rising suspicion

MIZUHIME AND MEGUMI RETURNED TO campus where Maki and Panda greeted them on the way to the dorms

MIZUHIME AND MEGUMI RETURNED TO campus where Maki and Panda greeted them on the way to the dorms. Their happy reactions were subdued, eyes carefully flitting between her and Megumi. They most likely learned about the mission gone wrong which explained their lack of rambunctiousness.

But in Mizuhime's opinion, the quiet exterior seemed to bring more weariness to Megumi.

"Want some cookies?" She effectively cut through the awkwardness, shoving a box of cookies at her classmates' faces. "My mama made them before we left! You should try it!"

Thankfully, that seemed to lighten up the mood.

After that, Mizuhime headed over to her dorm room to unpack the small amount of belongings she brought with them. Standing outside of the door was Yuta, who nearly jumped when he saw them.

"Uchiumi-san!" He squeaked, his blue eyes widening as if he was caught red-handed.

"Hello, Okkotsu-san!" She greeted more brightly, even going so far as to squeeze him in a hug that he tentatively reciprocated. Over her shoulder, he spotted Megumi watching them intently before they locked eyes. Something shifted in the younger boy's expression, but then he stepped into his room and disappeared from view.

"Y-you're back..." Yuta said as they pulled away. He swallowed thickly, his heart racing. "And so early too..."

Shit. He hadn't expected her to return in the middle of the break. Did she see him standing outside of her door? Did she think he was trying to break in? No, she wouldn't have hugged him like this if she suspected him. So he was safe... but he needed to be more careful.

"Yeah, Gumi-chan asked me to come back with him," she explained with her usual sunny smile.

His hand curled into a tight fist. Right. Mizuhime had informed him through a text message that Megumi would be staying with her for summer vacation and hadn't explained any further; though he later found out that he had witnessed the death of his partner during the mission. It had screwed him up and sure he felt bad for the younger boy, but was it really necessary for him to stay with her? How did they even run into each other in the first place?

Despite the jealousy biting into him, he kept his smile plastered onto his face. "Yeah, I heard what happened. I hope he feels better..." And he really did! Honest, he wasn't cruel. He would never wish ill on his kohai, but... he wanted to be the one who stayed with her over summer break.

"I hope so too," she agreed, a sound of sympathy humming from the back of her throat as she glanced back at Megumi's dorm room. "Anyways, my mama made cookies for me to share, do you want some?"

It was a shame they weren't made by her, but he gratefully took a cookie anyways, relishing in its sweetness.

"Mmm, they're good," he complimented. "Do you know how to bake too, Uchiumi-san?"